Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, I am not quite sure why there seems to be an element of bickering or defensiveness in your recent posts. I realize that it's always tricky when putting thoughts in writing in a way that conveys the intended message, and I am willing to leave it at that; and apologies if I am misconstruing. I believe in clarity and while I am sure that I fall woefully short of that goal, it is my goal nonetheless. Words matter. I'd like to address a couple of your comments:

Re "the 70s": this was your opening sentence:

****Well aficionados, as much as we liked those decades, it's time to move on to the 70's, and examine that decade in detail****

Further, at no point in your post did you even mention "fusion". So, how does one examine the decade "in detail" without examining the music that, either didn't meet the popular definition of "fusion", or is music that is simply showing the seed of the general movement of that decade toward fusion. As Rok shows in his most recent post the term hasn't even been clearly defined yet. So, my intention was (and is) to look at the music of that decade "in detail".

Now, as far as what music, exactly, "exemplifies that decade":

Part of my intention was to point out "in detail" that there was a lot of music that, not only continued the hard-bop (and other) jazz tradition, but was fusion that informed or influenced the music that many listeners would go on to think of as "fusion". A lot of this music became popular, but was by no means the music that kept a closer connection to what defines good jazz: a high level of harmonic and rhythmic sophistication, inventiveness, and a high level of improvisational sophistication. Gato and Sanborn (to name two), as fun and listenable as their music is, don't meet those standards. Much of that music was, or would morph into what many would go on to call "smooth-jazz". The point is that there is a lot of "fusion" that never became "popular" precisely because it is challenging for many listeners, but that is the fusion that most deserves to be looked at. If "popularity" defines what music exemplifies a decade I must say that I have a problem with that notion and find a contradiction in the premise.

Much has been said on this thread about the idea that "popularity" defines what is good. I still disagree with that notion and I have never gotten a good explanation for this dichotomy (I realize that I am using broad brush strokes here): I think it's fair to say that Rok dislikes most "fusion"; certainly as defined by players such as Gato, Sanborn and Metheny. Yet, they are (were) hugely popular. However, he likes Headhunters; they were not "popular". Yet, Headhunters played music that was on an infinitely higher level as defined by the standards mentioned previously. Discerning listener that he is, I am sure that is the reason why.

Re my role as "leader":

Not quite sure what that means. I am a firm believer in democracy so I think everyone's contributions will shape the direction of the discussion. However, if my comments above don't suggest wanting to take things in a certain "in detail" direction, I will try to be more clear.

Re "Are we going to get into the music, or what?"

I thought that was precisely what I have been doing through my comments and posts; unless, of course, personal attire somehow says more about the music :-)

BTW, much of Joe Henderson's music in the 70's and beyond was most certainly "fusion". So, perhaps the intention is not to look at the music "in detail". If that is the case, I am not quite sure I can be of much help; and certainly not "lead". I would suggest again to look at the list by the author of the article Rok posted a few posts ago. It's quite good and, to my mind (and obviously the author's also) it "exemplifies" the 70's.

Regards.
*****Rok, "What is it you agree about Hancock"? I was into "fusion" at that time, consequently I have no contradictions; Herbie's music at that time was most distinctly "fusion". Are you saying you liked some fusion, but didn't like other "fusion"?******

I am saying that Hancock is a lot more, than his dabble in 'Fusion'. The man is a very accomplished musician. Check out his output. Some of his tunes are now standards. He Teaches at UCLA. And yes, I like SOME of almost everything. But we are forced to speak inn generalities. Fusion was nonsense, with a few nice tunes here and there.

I have no use for Rock, but I do like some of Rod Stewart. I have a complilation of Rock from the 80's. All hits. I like that. Could I listen to a Rock LP from start to finish? No!

Since I dislike Rock, why would I like Rock infected Jazz. I feel silly using the words Rock and Jazz together.

Rock destoryed Rock & Roll, a young and fun music, and came close to destorying Jazz. Just a bunch of Drug crazed noise makers. And the entire music establisment just looked on, admiring the emperor's new clothes. $$$$???? Even made up 'catergories' at the Grammys, so they could win something.

Lots of folks tried to make a living off 'Fusion', Hancock was not one of those. He didn't have to, he could play Jazz. He did experiment with Rock and Classical integration into Jazz. Talented folks do that sort of thing. Explore. And remember, he did play with pre-Sinbad Miles.

BTW, there is much more Jazz in Blue-Grass than there is in Rock. That would be an interesting "Fusion".

Cheers
****There is no way ,at least for me, to categorize a decade. There was so much going on !!!!!******

People do it all the time. Roaring 20's ?? Proabley wasn't too much roaring going on in Idaho. But there was in NYC and Chicago. But they are still the roaring 20's. I am sure there are names for the 50s 60s and 70s. I am too lazy to google.

The dominant theme is what we are looking at here. Marginal players and music does not count.

The biggest blow could have been the demise of Blue Note.

And yes Frogman, apparel does matter. It tells you a lot about the person's attitude towards the music they are playing. I can just see the NYPO in tank tops with' hip-hop' baseball caps. The women in cutoffs with rings in their noses. Should not affect their playing ability, but it sure would affect my reception and perception of any music they might play.

Cheers