Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
*****Rok, "What is it you agree about Hancock"? I was into "fusion" at that time, consequently I have no contradictions; Herbie's music at that time was most distinctly "fusion". Are you saying you liked some fusion, but didn't like other "fusion"?******

I am saying that Hancock is a lot more, than his dabble in 'Fusion'. The man is a very accomplished musician. Check out his output. Some of his tunes are now standards. He Teaches at UCLA. And yes, I like SOME of almost everything. But we are forced to speak inn generalities. Fusion was nonsense, with a few nice tunes here and there.

I have no use for Rock, but I do like some of Rod Stewart. I have a complilation of Rock from the 80's. All hits. I like that. Could I listen to a Rock LP from start to finish? No!

Since I dislike Rock, why would I like Rock infected Jazz. I feel silly using the words Rock and Jazz together.

Rock destoryed Rock & Roll, a young and fun music, and came close to destorying Jazz. Just a bunch of Drug crazed noise makers. And the entire music establisment just looked on, admiring the emperor's new clothes. $$$$???? Even made up 'catergories' at the Grammys, so they could win something.

Lots of folks tried to make a living off 'Fusion', Hancock was not one of those. He didn't have to, he could play Jazz. He did experiment with Rock and Classical integration into Jazz. Talented folks do that sort of thing. Explore. And remember, he did play with pre-Sinbad Miles.

BTW, there is much more Jazz in Blue-Grass than there is in Rock. That would be an interesting "Fusion".

Cheers
****There is no way ,at least for me, to categorize a decade. There was so much going on !!!!!******

People do it all the time. Roaring 20's ?? Proabley wasn't too much roaring going on in Idaho. But there was in NYC and Chicago. But they are still the roaring 20's. I am sure there are names for the 50s 60s and 70s. I am too lazy to google.

The dominant theme is what we are looking at here. Marginal players and music does not count.

The biggest blow could have been the demise of Blue Note.

And yes Frogman, apparel does matter. It tells you a lot about the person's attitude towards the music they are playing. I can just see the NYPO in tank tops with' hip-hop' baseball caps. The women in cutoffs with rings in their noses. Should not affect their playing ability, but it sure would affect my reception and perception of any music they might play.

Cheers
Rok, People do a lot of stupid things "all the time". That's why I try not to.

I will keep posting different great jazz from the 70's,just so you can talk about their bad clothing choices.