Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, while perusing a "Mosaic" catalog, I discovered something worth considering, "Charles Mingus - The Jazz Workshop Concerts 1964 -65"; this is considered an epic masterpiece. While you may have it in bits and pieces, I don't think I have it. This includes Town Hall, Amsterdam, Monterey 64, Monterey 65, and Minneapolis; 7 CD's $119.

In Mingus's Jazz Workshop the exploration never stopped. Rehearsals could go for days. His music looked back to all the history of jazz. The music ranges from his interpretations of Ellington, to tributes to his musicians, ("Praying With Eric).

The musicians: Jaki Byard, Piano; Johnny Coles, trumpet; Lonnie Hillyer, trumpet; Eric Dolphy, alto, plus bass clarinet and flute; Charles McPherson, alto; and last but not least "Dannie Richmond", drums. A man of style and precision, immaculately dressed, he perfected the art of folding and packing his flawless wardrobe inside a small suitcase. He died in 1988 in a hotel in New York en route to join the Mingus Dynasty band in Europe. He was 56 years old, the same age at which Mingus died.

You probably know more about these particular concerts than I do; do you buy the complete edition for $119, or get bits and pieces for less, that is the question? It depends on whether or not you got $119 as loose change. One thing is for certain, no one got more out of musicians than Mingus, even the one's you weren't too particular about sounded good.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

The only question I would have would be the sound quality. All live performances, in 1964-65. But, Mosaic does have a reputation for excellence. It will be as good as it can be.

I am not sure you can still get all the individual concerts on seperate CDs. Of the ones listed as part of the set, I only have 'Town Hall'. If you just brought all his 5 star stuff, you could still go broke!! But when you consider the packaging, and the booklets, with the photos, I think it's worth the money. It's more of an 'investment' than any piece of audio gear.

I never quibble about cost when it comes to buying music. Now gear, that's another question.

I was looking at this very offer the other day, when I found the Beethoveen Sonata article. I have always wanted to buy something from Mosaic, but in most cases I did have most of the material on seperate CDs, but not in this case. And this is MINGUS! I listened to the samples on the Mosaic site. I think I will get it.

I will rationalize this way: I have a lot more than $119 tied up in CDs that I hate, and never listen to. Convinces me every time! :)

Cheers

Although I would very much enjoy a live performance by the "Dregs", new fusion is not something I'm currently adding. I appreciate your unique contributions, they're always interesting, keep em coming.

Enjoy the music.
Todays' Listen:

Charles Mingus -- TOWN HALL CONCERT

Only two tracks, 'So Long Eric' and 'Praying With Eric'. Total playing Time 45 minutes. Mingus is one of the few artists that can maintain a listeners interest in tunes of 27 and 17 minutes in duration.

Both were great. Dolphy's Flute and Bass Clarinet playing was just awesome on 'praying with eric'. Some consider Mingus' music to be 'out there', but the rhythm section is never 'out there'. They always keep it all coherent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP2XFKGKlAw

The liner notes consist of a scathing attack, by Mingus, on greed and corruption in the music recording business. Mingus does not minch words. Very angry young man. I wonder if any of these guys ever made the money they should have made.

This is one of the CDs in the Mingus Mosaic box set. Yeah, it's worth $119.

Got my New speakers today. :)

Cheers