A question about cable break-in

I have some new ICs and speaker cables, as well as a preamp that need to be broken in. I want to let the system run for about two weeks non-stop, but don't want to have to listen to it like that. If I disconnect the speaker cables from the speakers and leave a cd running so that the signal still goes through the system, can I still achieve break-in?
Thanks for your comments.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xhifimatt
As long as the thing you're plugging into has an input resistance, it will conduct current through the cable whether it's on or off.

So, the IC's will conduct. The speaker cables won't since they're disconnected from a load resistance and have an infinite impedance across them - air.

If you do not want to listem to your speakers while breaking in cables, then you could place an 8-ohm power resistor across each of the cables +/-. Use a 300W rated element to be safe.
Leave the speaker cables connected to the speakers and turn the volume down/off.
Lak is right leave it all connected and turn the power amp off. Put a CD on repeat and turn the pre amp up to about 1 O'clock and let 'er go. Marakanetz does not beleive in burn in. That's fine. I do. Make up your own mind. No better way than this to find out what you think is the truth.
Uh, I think that if you turn the volume off, you won't be breaking in the speaker cables. Funny how I listened to my system the whole time it was breaking-in, and I am still alive. Amazing, isn't it? I know listening to a multi-thousand dollar stereo system is tough, but I think, somehow, you'll get through it.