About the new Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 8

What are the differences between the Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 7 and the new Watt/Puppy 8? And how much is the MSRP of the new Watt/Puppy 8? Thanks.
bluesky
Hifimaniac -

I read your "David vs. Goliath" review.

So pretty much you're saying that the Caravelles sound better than the MAXXs in your 13 x 18 ft room....

That's like trying to drive a Farrari on a 10 foot track, you'd be better off with a go-kart.

13 x 18 is order-of-magnitutde WAY too small for the Wilson MAXXs. They are a big speaker, and require a big room, should be 16 x 25 or so minimum for the MAXX.

small room -> small speaker will sound better, it doesn't matter which one
Goatwuss, if you read the review I stated what you are stating! I had the MAXX in my old room 17 X 28 (in CA) and they sounded great, but the Caravelle still is a more musical sounding speaker with a better tweeter than the MAXX 1. The MAXX 2 tweeter is better, but there was no comparison on the high end; the Caravelle sounded better and the vocals more natural. The Wilson speaker is too lean sounding for my taste now after hearing a better midrange. The Caravelle is a superb speaker; however, I like big band and full, dynamic classical and it failed me on certain pieces I like even with a sub. In a smaller room, it would have been fine. I found the perfect speaker in size and dynamics for my room and it is the Zu Definitions. I have owned the MAXX for five years and the Watt/Puppy 5.1's before. For the money, the Zu's can't be beat...Anyone thinking of the Watt/Puppy 8 should demo a pair of Definitions for 60 days with no risk return policy. It is worth the shipping costs if you're going to save $21k. By the way, if you read the Stereophile review of the MAXX they talk about how good they sound in a small room about the size of mine; don't believe them. Finally, comparing Wilson's to a Ferrari is a slap to Dave Wilson who builds a very high tolerance product that will last a life time unlike Ferraris that have to be dealt with on a regular basis.
Hi Hifi -

Sorry, I must have missed that line. It looked a lot like you were saying "The caravelles are a better speaker because they soujnd better than the MAXXs in a small room." If what you were saying is "the caravelles have a better high-end than the MAXXs did even when they were in a large room" than that is meaningful.

Sometime in the next five years I will be looking for my reference speaker in the up-to-$15k price range, and both the Zu Definitions and the Wilson Sophias are on my list, along with a small handful of others including Audio Note and Merlin.
You say - "By the way, if you read the Stereophile review of the MAXX they talk about how good they sound in a small room about the size of mine; don't believe them."

Don't worry, I don't believe anything that Stereophile says ( :