Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Yup. I think the Vandy 7 is It in that regard. That's what I thought.

I listenend to the Vandy 7 yesterday with Pete and John at Audio Connection. What I learned was 2 important things:

1) John is a very nice guy with an extensive fund of knowledge.
2) Getting together with audio friends I have made from the forums doesn't happen frequently enough and it's always fun and a good time. Thanks for initiating that Pete!

I'll keep all updated on my progress.
Matt

I am not aware of many except Vandersteen that meet that list of criteria. I think you are thinking in the right direction of the technologies etc that you should be evaluating. I also think there is no substitue for being able to tune the bass to your room and them place the speakrs where the imaging and soundstage are the best. BTW your new room looks great and I love the Burmester gear you have selected. IMHO a speaker must look like a piece of it blends into a home not belongs in a studio somewhere. To be able to place the speaker in a appealing location in the room that images the best and looks the best and then not need to totally fill your room with lots of room treatment is a huge plus. I was at a dealer recently that built a new sound room and there were 71 pieces of room treatment in the room. When I asked about it they said that is what it took to get there World Class speaker to sound there best. Not many of our spouses will allow that in our houses and fewer yet can afford that much room treatment.

Jeff
I have a small but strong list of front runners. I am also considering alternative options in the form of monitors with subs as needed. I have some great stuff coming in to help me learn which way to go. Varied and very different designs.

I was impressed by the technical prowess of the Vandy 7 and the low frequency extension was literally like nothing k have ever heard before. I failed to connect with them at the showroom to be honest. I would elect to bring my Veritas amps and use a tubed Audio Research pre-amp if/when I go back. I told John I will call him in a month. He was very nice and not pushy at all......
Matt if the room is that hot why not just pipe some AC in there if your room is in the basement it should'nt be a big deal?
Priorities, my dear Erik. First I must focus on getting it to sound good. I must not allow myself to be distracted by such an unimportant thing as comfort when proper acoustics are still unsorted. :)

Seriously though, the fan is pretty effective and practically silent. It's one if those tall thin turbine type and moves a lot of air with very little noise. Eventually I'll address it head on, but it would either require I run hvac from the main system or put in a separate silent unit (which I don't really have a good place for). If I link into the main system I have no isolated control for that room. For now, I'm satisfied with the fan.