Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Hi guys,

This is one of the most interresting thread that I read since a long time. It took me 3 days to read all posts since the beginning (lol). But I did it ! Long short story, I have the same need than Matt concerning my next DAC. My equipments are more modest than Matt's devices, but I work on it, and the sound begin to be good (for me). After 15 years as an Audiophie I can say the best investment that I did as an Audiophile is to build a dedicated listening room. Trust me when you have a dedicated room with a perfect acoustic design, it's a huge improvement in term of music.

My last weakness point is actually my DAC. The Overdrive DAC seems to be really good, but I didn't tested it for the momment (but it's in my plan). I found a dealer to test the Metrum Pavane. There are a lot of good review about it and the price is in the same range than the ODSE. I will listen it tomorrow and I will give you a feedback after that.

I also want test the E22 from Exasound, and the new Veritas from Resonessence Labs. Yggdrassil is also in my list but i not sure if the Dac is in the same category than the ODSE or the Pavane in terms of performance.
I'm monitoring a couple of the newer DAC's that are about to come to market.  I know some folks who have heard the two I'm looking into and feel there is enough there for me to listen to them.  If I like them, I'll be selling my OSDE/SE, but it's going to really take a lot for that to happen as it's such a tremendous DAC still.  Steve just understands how to filter and clock properly and he uses the best components you can use for audio.  I've heard most of the DAC's in Matt's thread so far and only a few better Steve's and those all cost over 15k.  That's for MY ears and in MY system in MY listening room.  That takes nothing away from other DAC's as they may be more to someone else's liking in their room........you get the point. Thanks. :)
Hi guys,

As promised here the feedback of my listening session with the Metrum Pavane.

Before starting, please note that i am not a professional reviewer, it's just my personal opinion and my personal taste, my personal experience.

The session was driving by Samuel Furon owner of L'Atelier Audio in Montreal. For some of you, this name is not unknow. Sam is also co-founder of Ocellia who produces high-end audio equipment (speacker, electronic and cables).

It's always pleasant to make a listening session with a very real sound engineer.

Time to talk about the Pavane. The device is solid, heavy, and well finish. Pavane is a real NOS Dac. No DSD here, No MQA. First surprise : the Pavane don't make any oversamplig. So if the source is 16/44 the Pavane reproduce the sound of the source without any modification.  This is the sort of feature that is like in NOS Dac.

The Pavane sound is neutral, agile, hyper detail, never harsh, always highly musical. With a 16/44 source the sound is really surprising.

The first impression with the Pavane is very special. It's like if the sound literally jump outside of the speaker. You have the sound in the face but it's never agressive. it's wow !

Second things to note: On vocals, specially with Jazz, the voice is push in front of the stage. The direct impact is on the soundstage. It's deep. Incredibly deep.

All details in the music are reproduces with precision and subtlety. It's never analytic or harsh. it's always musical and elegant. 

IMHO for people (like me) who want a immersive experience with the music, this DAC is really good. If you looking for a DAC for ambient music it's not the good choice.

Marc
Thanks for the feedback.  Is there a link to the dealer as well as the DAC?  I'm lazy i guess, lol...thanks.
Nice review Marc. Your words pretty well mirror what I have been hearing for the past year of owning the Pavane. I don’t know whether it is an "absolute top tier dac" but it certainly makes listening fun. The combination of Pavane and Antipodes DX results in the best sounding source I have owned.