Advice on Budget System for newbie

I have decided to finally upgrade my Nakamchi receiver/CD player and need some advice. I have a pair of Paradigm Monitor 5v2 I bought new a few years ago, and would like to keep them (can't afford to replace yet). I need a SS integrated, CDP and cables (no need for phono for 5-6 yrs). The room is 14x25 ft, and I listen to jazz and rock. I would like to keep it around $800 total. How much do you divide the budget betw. amp/CDP/cable? I have looked thru Audiogon archives and will at least audition NAD (320 bee vs 352) and cambridge new. I will also consider used musical fidelity, creek, arcam or other brands, but it's more difficult to audition used units and it may push me over budget. Any suggestions?
drew2
If it were me, I would upgrade one component at a time. If you can afford to spend 800 now, I would work on the amplification, then when you can afford to, upgrade the cd player. There are many good integrateds in your price range. Audio Refinement complete, musical fidelity A3, even antique sound labs would work if you don't plan on cracking the volume. However, all of those won't leave you any room for a cd player in the budger. Although, if you can find the audio refinement for around 500 or so, you can probably get a used Music Hall CD25. That may very well keep you close to budget. NAD is a good value, but I feel the above list is slightly better. My opinion of course.
Looks like you've done your research. Cambridge Audio and NAD would be my top two choices.

Check out Signalcable.com for some real good IC and wiring in your price bracket. These are sold on Audiogon as well.
I did exactly what S7horton suggested, bought a used Audio Refinement complete for $525 and a slightly used Music Hall CD-25 for $350. I recommend both very highly in that price range and they look great together, if that's important to you. I've used them with Soliloquy 5.0's and Proac Response 1s' and was extremely happy with both setups.
And I third the CD-25 (also known as the Shanling CD-S100)! It's the very best player I know for the money.

I think the other guys' recommendations are excellent, if I may say so. The Audio Refinement gear is very good value IMHO. I'm only chiming in to reply to your question: how much do you divide the budget between amp / CDP / cable ?

My personal answer is, spend all you can on the source.

After all, you will be upgrading again, eventually, won't you? Getting the best source you can means you will be happier with it for longer. The next major effort can be on the amp, because you will still enjoy your source. And the quality you have upstream will be revealed when you upgrade downstream.

Compare that approach with the opposite : a downstream upgrade makes you painfully aware of an inadequate source.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider spending the whole pile on a CD-S100 Mk II, and a cable. I have a review of this player here at Audiogon. But then I have access to the Canadian sources for it ; AFAIK it is not available retail in the U.S. :-(

Canadian Shanling distributor's page

CD-S100 / 100 MkII review

Nevertheless, with all that said, moving from your Nak to a CD-25 and an amp like the Audio Refinement will still make you very happy. Tell us about it, when you get your upgrade home, if you get the chance.