Aesthetix Io-Reliability Problems???

I have heard recently from several sources that the Aesthetix Io phono stage has reliability problems and that it runs through tubes very quickly. What has been the experience of Aesthetix Io owners? What types of failures have occured? Are there any non-owners who know the details of the problems? Since I am interested in the Aesthetix Callisto linestage, which is much simpler and carries fewer tubes, I would like to know if the problems with the Io extend to the Callisto as well. Thanks in advance very much for your help.
rayhall
Well, when he received the unit from me he said it was damaged and didn't make a sound. Turns outr one of the EL-34s had worked loose in it's socket and blew a fuse. Of course, being a reviewer he didn't check the fuse and sent it to Jim White for "repair". At my expense.

I spend more time at my workbench now and less paying attention to mainstream high-end, so the unit's reputation for unreliability was news to me. My one problem was my fault, I believe, because I failed to turn the unit off and the failure was either thermally related or due to line spikes (or both).

As for sound, I said it was quite good, perhaps the best commercially available - I haven't has the opportunity to hear the Wavac, assuming it remains available. But there are DIY circuits out there that improve on the Io.

One of the unavaoidable weaknessess of commercial tube units is that they must rely on current production tubes. The 12AX7 and its variants aren't very linear but are chosen solely for the ease of use (size) and amplification factor (100). The tube was developed in the early '50s in response to what was perceived as a market trend toward minituization in home electronics. Two triodes in a miniature package with a high mu is a bean counter's dream. The 6922 is marginally a better tube, as is the 6SN7. The use of the popular cathode follower circuit and variants for the low noise and gain offered ignores it's tendency to wander all over the map in terms of operating points means that additional steps in the forms of voltage regulation, active plate loading and a current sink must be used to clamp the tube's OPs with a narrow, desireable range.

None of these tubes, however, exhibit the low level linearity of the directly heated single triodes from radio's early days. Unfortunately, these tubes are no longer made and are therefore not feasible for a commercial venture.

In addition, these are low-mu triodes with amplification factors ranging from 3 to 9. So the problem is where to get the extra gain. The solution is in the use of high-quality interstage transformers and plate chokes. This produces a stage-to-stage stability that can't be equalled by cap coupling and it gets the cap out of the signal path. It also allows employment of the simpler anode follower topology, and even topologies like parallel feed which removes the chore of handling DC current from the interstage primaries. This nallows more permeable core materials to be employed and the result is better clarity, better low level detail, and an overall ease of presentation. Of course, your replaced a $1 part with something that will cost $60 on up to several hundred dollars, depending on circuit requirements and core materials.

This makes it difficult to turn the necessary profit since the market is small and the high-end rule-of-thumb sets MSRP at 5x to 8x the cost of parts. But it undeniably a superior approach if cost is no object. See the schematices at Sakuma-san's Direct HEating site (http://www5.big.or.jp/~dh/) for both amps and preamps that employ these techniques.

All of these circuits are invariably less complex - a good thing - and make liberal use of high-quality transformers and chokes that replace highly variable (in a QA/QC sense) resistors, caps, and silicon devices. As Einstein said, "Make is simple as possible but no simpler." The Io's complexity, coupled with increased demand for a product that is essentially the designer's second job, may have something to do with the reliability issue.
I am aghast with some of the long-term reliability comments being made here with out any specifics details on those problems and the resolution of them. I am user for over two plus years and no Aesthetix caused problems period. Yet on the other hand I am a tweeker I am a tweeker-DIY, and I make many more mistakes than the manufactures. Maybe what we have here is a great design, complex true, which is getting us 80db gain in a phono stage with out a step up transformer. Maybe there are just too many tubes to not touch. I am glad Albert chained in with a detail brand description of the possible tube changes on could make to better suit you personal music taste. Because, I've been doing this type of thing since 1955 I did immediately go the route of NOS (along Albert's suggestions), But I do have to emphasis several points here the Aesthetix in its stock form (per review) is one of the best phono pre-amps in the world. The best, No! That is always you're personal choice and very subjective. I found the Aesthetix Io to be the only phono circuit that could drive my very low output MC with the music I was looking for and with too much noise. The second point is that Jim White does recommend changing to stock tubes to other NOS brands although he knows that people like Albert and myself will do exactly that. Still, Jim White has been just great to me when I made an error on my unit. He figured it out for me and we were off and running again. The last point I would make is that I do use the French Mazda's in the first phono stages and I had no problems at all. These French Mazda's are very transparent, fast, detail and very low noise. Perfect for that stage. With all this will an Aesthetix be right for you and your system, you knows? There are a lot of very good pre-amp (phono) out there - go and listen. Try to find out about reliability, but trust people that will give specifics with the equipment they have actually owned for a while.
I bought a SH Io and have not had any problems over the past five months.
However a friend of mine bought an Io new approx eight months ago and he uses his sparingly. Before Christmas it developed an intermittant noise in one channel. Swopping the tubes over, did not change anything. He shipped it back to Jim White who promptly replaced a cap and shipped it back second day. He was delighted with such speedy service.

I have a set of Mazdas for the primary gain stage, but have not installed them yet. Been breaking in some new 300B tubes in my VAC Renaissance monoblocks..

Its a stunning phono stage, I have not heard its equal.