All things apple tv

I thought I'd start a new thread focused on the apple tv. I chose the apple tv primarily for it's nice interface and simplicity of use. The mac mini is obviously far more customizable however requires a keyboard and mouse.

My 30gb model is about to get a new 250 gb hard drive from techrestore.com. My biggest issue with apple tv is the inactive usb port. Ideally I would like to send music to the dac using this port. It appears this may be possible by hacking the unit and installing the full version of osx.

Does anyone know of a simpler way to do this?
mbehner
I just got my 160GB ATV 2 days ago...so far, so good. My current library of ALAC files is relatively small (only ~120GB), so I have synced all my music to the ATV hard drive, and I stream movies that I convert w/ VisualHub... I'm a Mac fanboy, so to speak, and am very happy w/ this setup. I'll be looking for a DAC (probably the DL III as others have suggested) when I switch to separates from my Cambridge Audio 540R receiver.. I think the 540R does post-processing regardless of whether an analog or digital input is used, so getting a DAC now would be pointless..
Mbehner and others
Also check out the PC Audio section of this forum. Quite a few threads and probably hundreds of posts relevant to Apple TV and other Apple audio issues.

The posts in that section have been very helpful to me.

JPO
After a few days of use, I contacted Apple to return my Apple TV.

I have now purchased a MacBook and it is everything that I could want. The sound is much better. Imaging is much more stable. The strings have come alive with much more presence, and the detail in male and female vocals is much more textured and transparent. If you can afford the upgrade, get it.
Holenneck:

How does changing from an Apple TV to a MacBook improve the sound? Are you using the same DAC you teamed with the Apple TV, or no DAC at all? How are you connecting this to your system? I remember from your posts on the Wadia iTransport that you were looking for a more effecient way to display iTunes other than your TV. The MacBook would solve this issue.

I was on the path to purchasing an Apple TV before I read this post. It's easy to return an Apple TV, but most stores have strict guidelines regarding laptops. Convince me your MacBook solution is better.

Thanks.
after talking to the founder of computeraudiophile.com, he helped give me that little nudge to go with the MacBook.

I was experiencing shifts in imaging that really bothered me. the vocals also didnt have much shape or texture, even less than the squeezebox I was replacing. I was also concerned about the optical output adding too much digital jitter to the signal. Another issue was my desire to have a smaller screen to navigate the menu's compared to the 57' screen i was currently using. I like to listen to music in the dark and the big screen displaying the album art took me away from that a bit.

these are just my opinions, but I have spent the last few years trying to find a cheaper way to have a music server. i finally sucked it up and decided to do it right. if you are on the fence, go ahead and get a MacBook and a USB DAC of converter to use your own DAC, you will not regret it.