Alternative Tonearms for VPI

Has anyone ever used other manufacturers tonearms on VPI Scoutmaster Turntables. If so what were they and what if any improvements were noticable
wes4390
I used a triplaner with my aries 3 with very positive results.
It replaced a 10,5. Improvements in tracking and a almost total
Loss of distortion. Triplaner was over kill for a aries and I moved
On to a better tt. Though while I listened to the aries triplaner
Combo I most certainly enjoyed the sound and music.
Mike
I suppose I should have asked..........is it ok to use any tonearm on the scoutmaster, if not what are the restrictions and why.
As a VPI dealer I should know the answer but have not heard anything about anyone doing it. I would think it would be possible but not very practical. But if you can find an arm that fits and can have an arm board built that would fit the cutout you can do it. I would do a search here and on Vinyl Engine to see if anyone has. It would be a lot easier to sell the Scoutmaster and go to the Aries or a turntable from another company IMO. The sound of the Scoutmaster derives from it being designed as a unit and the absence of a arm board contributes to that. Is there something about the VPI arm that you don't like? I currently have a Scoutmaster set up next to an all out Aries with 12" arm and Super platter which the Scoutmaster lacks and the Scoutmaster is not embarrassed by the comparison and might be preferred by some. I would advise that you tweak the table as it is before making a radical change. Email me if you have further questions. Stanley Wallen, Alternative Audio