Amp for Maggies

As I understand, Maggies do well (better) with high current amps. My first introduction to the speaker line was a friends IIb driven by a Quad 405. What other amps are considered to also be high current? Thanks Dave
saihcc
In general higher powered class D amps are likely to work well with larger Maggies like the 3.6. Spectron Musician 3 series for example, or JRDG Continuum 500 should give you lots of authority, bass control and refinement. If you prefer a slightly cooler presentation, try the NuForce Ref 9 V2 instead. JRDG 501 will also give you lots of control, but may sound a little cooler than Nuforce without the addition of a pair of JRDG PC1 external AC2DC converters. Lower power digital amps like the JRDG 201 monos should probably be limited to the smaller Maggies like the 1.6s. . . they do run out of steam on the big 3.6s. Guido
I have had great results using a pair of fpb 350 Monos from Krell. I use a separate Krell KSA 150 to run the center and sub but the sub doesn't get much work since the 20.1 Maggies don't crossover to the sub until 40 db. Given that the Krells pump 700 watts into each Maggie (at 4 Ohms) there is plenty of reserve power. I hope you enjoy those Maggies as much as I do. . .they're a bargain if you have adequate room size for them.
PS Audio GCC250 is my choice w/1.6s.
I run them full range w/sub x-over at 45hz.
The PS is an ICE ASP500 module amp.

I have two answers:

1. Spectron Musician III SE stereo amp
2. Spectron Musician III SE mono-blocks

Best,

iSanchez

I've owned (and still own) various models of Magnepan speakers. I've used both tube amps (e.g., Sonic Frontiers Power 3 SE, Quicksilver V4s) and SS amps (e.g., Adcom 545, Odyssey amps, and ? - can't remember now) on them. You do need lots of power for Maggies and the model Maggie you choose will impact the power minimums (i.e., 3.6R and 20.1R require massive amounts, while MMGs a lot less) and type of amp (some folks find the ribbon tweeter Maggies more easily sound harsh/strident with low quality SS amps). The best of the lot for me was easily the Odyssey Stratos Extreme monos - warm and musical sound for very little money. Many Maggie owners posting on the Planar Asylum, a very good source for info on this subject, like Pass Labs amps. Switching amps provide the power but the jury is out on whether they sound good. Other factors are your room size (large v. small?) and music choice(s) (rock v. chamber music?). Good luck.