Any thoughts on passive v. active speakers?

I'm thinking about ditching my amps and cables and just buying an active speaker with a balanced input. I have a Krell 2250 and a pair of 140 watt Atma-sphere MA-1MKII. I desperately need speakers and cables, but not sure if I want to go through the bother (and expense) of finding the perfect matching set.

Should I go with a speaker & amp that are already matched or keep building my system like a bespoke smorgasbord?
rogerstillman
zd542, I agree that change for the sake of change alone is not good, but wouldn't you rather have a system that you could grow into as your needs, taste, and budget change? I'm just proposing an alternate path to building a system.

Wouldn't it be nice to upgrade one part of the speaker without having to trash the whole speaker system and start over?
Chew on this: Those of you with colossal amplifiers running two speaker systems are the sonic equivalent of a Lamborghini on a mini golf course. You still look great at 3 MPH, but you have no idea hood good things get once you get on the autobahn.

Line Array = Autobahn.
Once upon a time two friends went to a concert, but only had one pair of tickets.

The friend who got in to hear the show sat center stage and listened to beautiful line array of speakers.

The friend who didn't get in also sat center stage, but behind a wall with two pin hole openings for perfect stereo imaging.

Who do you think enjoyed the show more?
One friend drove a Lamborghini to RMAF and sat in the sweet spot in the best room at the show.
One friend drove a golf cart to RMAF and sat in the parking lot and listened to AM radio.
Who do you think enjoyed the show more?
The guy in the parking lot because it's legal in Colorado and you can't smoke inside.

Uh...what were we talking about, anyway??
Which is better?

1. To hear 100% of the sound with only 2% that is perfect or
2. Hear only 2% of the sound perfectly, but miss the other 98%?

Assuming you have enough SPL to fill the room is it better
1. To add another amp and speaker or
2. To buy two more speaker and run them on the amp you have?

Sorry, I was outside. What did you say?