anyone used the Sutherland Phd high gain card?

Don't have a local Sutherland dealer and haven't read about anyone using its' high gain card. Have auditioned Artemis PL-1 which I really like but I hate to buy without comparing it to something else first. Is it worth my effort to go through the mail order and try out the Sutherland or this is phono preamp more suited to higher output cartridges?

Have a gyrodec/sme5/airy3sb/copland ct305/beard m70 mk2
viiu
I have a Sutherland PhD, and I love it! A very awesome Unit, which works flawlessly. Dead quiet, and I noticed a very nice improvement with separation of musical instruments, and voices on all my LP's.

Of course I'm using a hi-output original Benz Glider, rated at 1.8Mv, and didn't require any special boards (As you probably have alreasy assumed as much)

My good personal friend Thomas Back also uses the Sutherland, and it was on his recommendation that I bought the unit. Tom does have a short review of his unit on the Acoustic Sounds web-site (The main distributor of these products)

Tom uses a Lyra Titan Cartridge on his Clearaudio Table and I assume the Titan is a fairly low output Cartridge? One plus is, that if you need a special plug in board, with certain custom values, both for gain, or loading, Acoustic Sounds-Sutherland can provide one, so I'm quite certain that no matter what output Cartridge you desire to use, the Sutherland can be up to the task of being compatible for it. Hope this helps you. Mark D.
Thanks Mark,

The Titan has just more than twice the output of the Airy at .5mv which means your friend Tom probably doesn't require the card too. Still it's always encouraging to hear a customer endorsement of something you're looking at buting.

I like the idea about the card for gain but didn't realize there was one for loading too. Maybe I'll get in touch with Acoustic Sounds and see if they have extra ones. Getting the load right is always trial and error with me but some have suggested that 10K might be a better load for the cartridge.
Hi again, Yes, from what I can see, the Lyra Titan "Stereo" Cartridge is rated at .5mv, and the ZYX Airy 3 is I believe rated at .34mv.

The Sutherland is as I understand a dual mono design, anfd therefore uses two boards per channel (Gain+Loading) which plug into thier respective Mother Boards.

The factory supplied boards have gain settings of 45db, 50db, 55db, and 60db

The factory supplied boards for Cartridge Loading are 100 ohms, 200 ohms, 1K ohms, and 47k Ohms.

Of course as I mentioned previously, custom boards can be bought, and I even believe blank boards can be gotten, in which one can do the solder in of resistors etc themselves if desired.

I tried myself getting into the Acoustic Sounds site, but it appeared I needed a account name, and password? Hmm, never noticed that before. I have spoken with these folks by phone before, and they were very helpful.

Buying new, I thought I once read it mentioned that there is a 30 day free in home trial period, in which if you don't like the Unit, they will refund your money in full. Again, I hope this helps you! MarkD
Viiu,

I doubt many people would suggest 10K ohms for an Airy 3. Optimal loading is system dependent for sure, but 10K is almost certainly too high for that cartridge, with which I have some experience.

Assuming you have the LO Airy 3, I'd expect the optimal value to fall between 50 and 200 ohms. Based on Markd51's information, I'd suggest trying the factory supplied 100 and 200 ohm boards. That will give you a good handle on whether some other value is necessary and which direction to go.

Good luck in your phono stage hunt!
Doug