are all amps equal

I have recently gotten the Mcintosh bug, but a friend of my who does a LOT or reading on the net says power output is the answer not the name. I am looking for the best sound I can get in the 3k$ range for my Usher Be 718s. I have looked at many used Mcintosh units in the 200 watt plus output area, but my friend says a new 250 watt Emotiva would be a better value. The Emotiva is around $800.
I would like some imput.. Thanks, Don
keslerd
All amps are NOT equal. I have tried quite a few, and they all sound different, even with the same speakers. Get you a good Audio Research amp, and you will forget all about McIntosh gear.
If you dampen the volume knob with gum, you have then opened up a NEW gate to Audio my friend.... Everything will be more liquid and real.

It will double your pleasure, and double your fun!
04-01-09: Jax2

If you dampen the volume knob with gum, you have then opened up a NEW gate to Audio my friend.... Everything will be more liquid and real.

It will double your pleasure, and double your fun!

Thanks for the tip (my first record was a 78 rpm) I will pass the tip on to my friend... Thanks for everything.
That's how you do "liquid"?!! I was getting "liquid" to hear it "liquid" but gum method is definitely cheaper.
I wonder what explanation "experts" give for power cord differences - that will be fun.

I'm no expert on building or designing power supplies and nor do I work for a utility but one can't help thinking it might be a combination of;

1) Dirty Power (perhaps caused by other home appliances)
2) Inadequate power supply design
3) Ground loops

Since manufacturers are always looking to reduce cost to meet a competitive price point I suspect inadequate power supplies are quite often the culprit. After all a consumer is more likely to buy an item if it has an expensive face plate than if it looks cheap but has an expensive power supply.

Of course it requires that you believe that good equipment design should trump the need for non standard power cords. I have a power conditioner and it helps on one of my components - I still blame the component design however, and do not ascribe exceptional properties to the power conditioner or its power lead.

So we agree in one sense but disagree as to the cause. In the same way I would blame equipment design and compatibility in the case that the interconnects or speaker cables made huge improvements (again I blame the equipment or my poor choice of what to cobble together rather than ascribe amazing audio properties to mere wires)

Just a different viewpoint - no flame intended.