Assemblage 3.1 vs. EVS Millenium II DAC

I am in the market for a moderately priced DAC, am looking for a detailed yet smooth-sounding unit. Would be running the DAC on a Meridian 500 transport, Spectral/MIT system. Any and all comments welcome, including transport-DAC cable recommendations. Thanks in advance.
billspecfoc
You may want to speak with Ric Schultz at EVS directly, as he is nothing if not a straight shooter with information and you'll likely learn a lot about DAC design/implementation. All I know is I've had a Millennium DAC 1 in my system for a year and it is truly an open window on the performance. With the DAC II Ric has done a roto rooter thing and cleared out everything that could detract from the signal--he's even found a way to avoid using any op-amps in the unit. It may take a while to get one, but with a 30-day money-back guarantee you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying one. I haven't heard the Assemblage unit so I can't comment on it, but I'm sure it's a quality piece. I just wouldn't bet the farm on anything until I at least heard the DAC II, which by the way will be upgradeable to 2-channel sacd/dvd-a formats. Best of luck.

Tim
Can comment on the EVS.The Assemblage dac 3.1 is magical.I prefer Viynl but if Digital is your bag the 3.1 is as good as it gets without spending double.
Cant comment on the EVS.The Assemblage dac 3.1 is magical.I prefer Viynl but if Digital is your bag the 3.1 is as good as it gets without spending double.
Sorry for the spelling mistake on previous post