Azden Cartridges

Can anyone (Raul?) tell me if the Azden YM-P50C (conical) Azden YM-P50E (elliptical) and Azden YM-P50VL (vital line contact) are in fact the same cartridge with different cantilever/stylus assemblies? Thanks!

Jack
jmowbray
Raul where are you?

Hello all, so Mofi if this is true, which is a more desirable of the the 3? I've always been under the impression that Line contact were the more desirable, Is this true?

I'm betting that it has to do with which era of pressings dominate your collection....

please elaborate
cheers
-b
The job of the stylus is to trace, (or retrace) the groove as close as possible to the actual cutting stylus. So, in this case, yes the line contact will have a closer profile to the cutting stylus.
Dear Braab8: Common sense tell us that line contact could has better quality performance, why I say " could "?

Well, the line contact stylus on cartridge needs a more precise cartridge set up: VTA/SRA, VTF, Azymuth, etc, etc, if not then we can aware of the line contact stylus shape advantages.

Now, if you read through the MM/MI thread you can see that several non line contact cartridges performs better that other line contact stylus shape cartridges even in the same model like in Ortofon M20FL Super ( line contact ) where almost all the owners with the FL and the E ( elipthical. ) version prefer this one .

I buy through garage-a-records the E version of the Azden that I try briefly and sounds good but not better than the VL version but I need more time ( 20 hours at least ) with the E one.

In the other side seems to me that the cartridge body is the same for all models.
I know that Dgob own both cartridges: the 50VL and the 50E, maybe he can comes and put additional " light " on the subject.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.