best preamp ever - cost is no object

Hello there,

I am in the running for a new preamp, cost is no object.
Would appreciate to hear comments from you out there.
Thinking about Lyra Connoisseur 4.2 SE among others.
Poweramp is Tenor 150, speakers are Eidolon diamonds.
Thanks for your help and experience.
aspera
I have been achieving some of that 'magic' Fcrowder mentions with a combo of Steelhead running thru the MM input, to the Lamm L2, using the latest Titan. Not saying it is the 'best' but the combo achieves more than the sum of its parts. And, while I appreciate that these are 'production' units they probably work fine in a range of other systems. The Lamm, used, is a bargain, and while the Steelhead is not so readily available used (yet), it offers enormous flexibility. It is an interesting combo. (Haven't tried some of the others mentioned).
Supratek needs consideration.A Supratek Cabernet has taken my system to a completely different level of performance[and I used a Metaxas Marquis before].
I hear Supratek is also developing a dual cicuit topography with different outputs for bass and mid/highs.There has always been this compromise between optimal performance in these often conflicting areas and this makes a lot of sense where bi amping is possible.

JT
Since my first version of the H-Cat P-12 line stage about three years ago, I have always been greatly impressed by its precise soundstage and instrument location. I now have the new P-12B 5x which is the 6th version I have had. It is the final version and is now in substantial production.

It is such a substantial step further than even the previous version that I still have as to suggest a new circuit. It is merely a greatly refined version, but I would seriously doubt if anything will approach it. I have never heard bass like this nor such a sense of the recording venue. Realism is the only appropriate character that I can think of to characterize it.

All that I can really say is look for reviews and give it a listen if you get a chance.
Curious how no one mentioned the Opal in this thread. It seems like you can never find one used.
I have a Wyetech Opal and it surely should be mentioned as a contender. The reason you never see them on the used market is that it is a "legacy" product; built to last a lifetime and with so pristine and reliable a design, and with such high construction and parts quality, owners like myself have no interest whatsoever in the preamp "flavor of the month". And at the price it is a great value. It is the one component in my system I have NEVER thought of replacing.

System:
Wyetech Opal
Krell 300cx amp
Dodson 218 DAC
CEC TL-1X transprt with RAM mods (includ. Superclock 3)
Von Schweikert VR5 HSE spkrs
Elrod Statement,2 Sig and Nordost Valhalla PC's
Valhalla and AQ Sky IC's
Stealth Sextet bal. digicable
PAD Venustas spkr cables.
Original Hydra power cond.