Best Recordings

It seems today's music artists don't really care about the quality of their recordings; it seems many of them produce recordings for boom box or car stereo.

What are some of the best recordings?
jxl
Most Anything Pink Foyd. one of my favorite recordings is The devil went down to georgia by the Charlie Daniels band. Another one i that i think is good for a audiotion track would be Mr Robato by the Styx believe it or not. lol Those are just some of my favorites. Im going out to get some more pink Floyd today. Theyre Great!
Well Jxl that's quite a claim,of course there are many of today's artists who do care about how their music sounds and of course there are artists who maybe are only concerned with selling records.
There are also interesting artists who may be trying to do something different with their music and may not fit your idea of what constitutes a good recording or even good young bands with not the money to get a decent recording done.
Your question is so vague as to be almost meaningless.
Have you any type of particular music in mind?
If not consider Radiohead in the alternative rock field.
Ryan Adams in the alternative country/singer songwriter field.
Metallica in the heavy metal field.
Eva Cassidy in the popular field.
Madonna in the pop field.
The White Stripes,Jeff Buckley,Rufus Wainwright etc etc,jings even the last Dylan album is well recorded.
If none of this fits the bill there is enough new reissues etc. to sink a boat-Simon &Garfunkel,Pink Floyd,Nick Drake,Miles Davis,Roxy Music,Bowie,Steely Dan Led Zeppelin,Frank Sinatra etc etc.
You might even consider buying a music monthly like Mojo and reading about music you might like to hear and you know take a chance on something.
Interestingly enough one of this years best releases has a poor production they are a young band from New York called The Strokes.
To me it's about music.
You'll find many of what I listed above will not be considered good recordings by other people.
Is that kind of world...sometimes you gotta find your own way........

Ben
ben makes a very good point. there are numerous contemporary artists and labels that care about the sonic quality of their records. indeed, i think, on the whole, the quality of redbook cd's has increased significantly over the past few years. here are a few more artists to add to ben's list:

neil young
string cheese incident
ani difranco
los lobos
willie nelson
dave carter & tracy grammer
david byrne
lucinda williams