best transparent pre amp

looking for a pre amp that will allow an excellent source to shine through unobstructed. Neither add or detract from the signal provided.

Will be mated with SS amp.
dvdgreco
Mixed bag of interconnects

Grover hofman zx
Gabriel gold passion
Reality
The amr comes with its own which I have been told is quatrofil (spelling incorrect)
Dvdgreco, your amp has a very useful high SE input impedance at 99.5k ohms, which is great for many ways of controlling the volume active or passive.
But what is your source??

Sorry just saw Amr cd 77.1 soon I will see what it's capable of doing and will then give some ideas.

Cheers George

Dvdgreco

Your amp has a very useful high SE input impedance at 99.5k ohms, and only needs 1.2v input for full power.

And your future AMR CD77.1 has a nice low output impedance which is <100ohms with more than 2v output.

This combination is perfect for a 10kohm logerithmic passive preamp. Like the $49 Schitt Sys (linked).
As you can see all you need is passive preamp which will give you, as you say.
"excellent source to shine through unobstructed. Neither add or detract from the signal provided."
It will be the most transparent way of controlling the volume and getting the source signal to the poweramp.

http://schiit.com/products/sys

Cheers George

In addition to the above recommendation, I know that a $49 passive preamp seems stupid, when you've auditioning multi $K preamps you mentioned.

But read these very educational words from the master himself Nelson Pass. Your system is perfectly suited for this.

"Nelson Pass,
We’ve got lots of gain in our electronics. More gain than some of us need or want. At least 10 db more.
Think of it this way: If you are running your volume control down around 9 o’clock, you are actually throwing away signal level so that a subsequent gain stage can make it back up.
Routinely DIYers opt to make themselves a “passive preamp” - just an input selector and a volume control.
What could be better? Hardly any noise or distortion added by these simple passive parts. No feedback, no worrying about what type of capacitors – just musical perfection.
And yet there are guys out there who don’t care for the result. “It sucks the life out of the music”, is a commonly heard refrain (really - I’m being serious here!). Maybe they are reacting psychologically to the need to turn the volume control up compared to an active preamp."

What do you have to loose, it's just $49

Cheers George