Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
This may have been answered in years past, but here's the question - I have a european motor and want to use it - So I need an american spindle - 60hz - Has anyone actually done this? And if so, does it sound as good as the correct combination? Does the motor generate too much heat? Someoen told me that if I have a motor that is 220v/50hz and run it on 110v/60hz, that it'll get really hot and potentially burn out? Is this motor designed to just switch spindles? Or did they actually make different motors for different areas of the world? I have a Braun mixer that is rated for both 50 and 60 hz, so it is possible right? I don't know enough about this stuff - so a listening test between correct shaft and motor and replaced shaft and motor, and some idea of heat is all I'm looking for...

And of course, if anyone has an extra 60hz spindle around, I'll happily buy it from you - I'm also looking for another Platter, so if anyone has one of those lying around...

and Michael - I got the plinth veneered and it's coming along great - this new deck is very exciting...
Hmmm....everyone seems to be sleeping, so I'll jump in. The motor voltage is strictly a matter of wiring: make sure the AC goes to positions 1 and 4 on the barrier strip at the back of the motor, and the switch to positions 2 and 3. Look under my "system" for an idea. The NA spindle does indeed simply pop in, the only difference between the two is machining of the sloped part against which the wheel spins. Just pop it in, wire correctly, and it'll work. Problem is getting a NA spindle, as it will necessarily come from a whole Lenco. You can always consider buying one of the cheaper light-platter Lencos for parts. Good luck!

Great post Helen: an object lesson to detail-fixated audiophiles out there in how to listen to Greatness. Not that the Lencos and other big idlers don't also rule at detail/information-retrieval, just a matter of musical priorities. While the Lencos and other large idlers rule at detail and everywhere else, where they REALLY get stupendous and downright supernatural is in the intensity of their musicality/musical POWER. Go back and read Helen's post all, and think "Kundalini Effect" ;-). Can anything but vinyl (available in the here and now) do that?!? Vive la Vinyl, and the Idlers which realize its potential!!
Goughary, I figure that it is more reasonable to look for another motor - or even another deck. I finally got another motor from Francois over on the other thread. Every now and then, a Euro-Lencoer gets a 60HZ motor. Keep an eye pealed over on e-Pay.

There is a thread over on Lenco Lovers that answers your question re burning a 50hz motor - I cant remember exactly what it said.

Mike
My last post seems not to have gone on. Jean you sly dog.. i bet you have bought up 50 Lencos, cut Srajan in and now youre going to anounce it to the world through 6moons and make a killing. Nice. Seriously, good luck with the adventure of getting all the bits to him and together, and then to open his ears to the wonder of vinyl and Lencos.
Hi Guys,
I haven't slept much the last few days trying to read everything on the net for the Amazing Lenco l75 and I am really getting excited about the future :) As I am patiently waitng my Lenco to arrive from Sweden ( I live in Bulgaria, no Lencos here) I have a few questions before I start with the restoration. I have read all the basic stuff and first steps that need to be taken but there are things that I am still not sure about. Please excuse me if I have missed the info, I just read a million pages and it's all a mess in my head.
So can anyone please say a few words or show a picture of the following:

1."Glass reinforcing" or "Glass epoxy mod" ?

2. Mumetal mod??

3.Just a few words again on "direct coupling", please?

Thanks in advance, I could never really express what a light this thread brought to my life,thanks a million for making me smile again,you people truly made it into History!