Building the Audio Note Kit 1 SET amp...

Hi, Folks,
If anyone's interested, I've started a blog with lots of photos, documenting my ongoing build of the Audio Note Kit 1 300B SET amp. If you've ever thought of building any kit before and want to get a feel for what it's like, you're welcome to have a look!
rebbi
Rebbi,
There is a reason why Enjoy the Music, Stereomojo, Tim Smith, 6 Moons and his Wall of Sound review have given the Tektons (various models) high praise and Awards. Scott Hull in Part-Time as well, amongst many others. Those synth bass tracks would not be clipping with the Tektons, they would sound glorious; the mids and highs too.

There was a few years back an extremely long thread about the Tekton Lore, with many different A-gon members singing Tekton praises with over 10-14 pages of mostly positive comments. That is where these speakers came to my attention and I decided to take a flyer on them. So, now I own 3 models, the 4.5 monitors, M-Lore and Lore. They are very good, well balanced and would likely sound great with the An Kit-1 IMHO. You must read the various reviews and comments on these speakers, they reflect the truth(s) about these speakers. The Awards and positive comments are not hyperbole, or due to large ad budgets, but word-of-mouth praise by the knowledgeable audiophile.

The above mentioned reviewers have listened to the best equipment out there. They have given the Tektons high praise. I hate saying it this way, but so have I. I've been fortunate to have owned or listened extensively to some great speakers, starting with my parents big Tannoy, KLH9s, Bozaks, JBLs. Since college, Dynaco A25, Advents, more KLH, Yamaha, Heil, Walsh, Spendor, Magnepans, Quad 57s, Rogers LS3/5, Kef 104, C30 and C40, I believe, Vandersteen 1Bs, 2CE, Sound Dynamics 300ti, Infinity, Harbeth, Fried, too many to list. My point, the Tektons with 93-98 db efficiency, easy 8ohm impedance, great bass down to 34hz with the Lore, lower with some other models, low relative cost, is an astoundingly great gift to the audiophile, especially those with a moderate budget or low-power SET amps.
mik have you heard each Teuton model with a low power set? Some Teutons extend lower than others I read. I have no doubt those that extend only to 50hz or so would have much problem but I am less certain about those that extend into the 30 hz range. A lot more power is needed for those lower frequencies than down to only 50 or so. Efficiency ratings might not reflect the lowest frequencies as Reb suspects is the case with the decapos. Just wondering. I would be concerned myself going in with any low power amp and moderate efficiency speakers that are not big but extended
Mikirob,
I know you and your wife have extensive musician backgrounds. How is the tonality/timbre of acoustic instruments? Does the Tekton sound natural?
Thanks,
Charles,
Smctiuge1:

"Rebbi, for the sake of De Capo owners in the future looking to experiment with SET it may be beneficial to explain why this thread took the turn it has. Earlier in the thread you commented that the power issue had "been put to bed."

Good question and fair enough. I think I spoke too soon in that earlier comment. Additionally, when I said what I said, I was still entertaining the possibility that I'd messed up something in the build or perhaps gotten a bad tube. I finally figured out (with Brian's of ANK's help) that the amp was fine but that a few of my favorite tracks from a couple of albums that I've been keeping in heavy rotation would overtax the amp to distortion if I played them at accustomed volumes.

For a great deal of what I've listened to so far, the combination sounds marvelous! I know this is a threadbare cliché, but I find myself wanting to just sit and listen; it's like I'm being reintroduced to music I've been listening to for years, but in a deeper way.

And yes, the "issue has been put to bed" in the sense that if you don't listen to modern, electronic music, and your listening room is small to medium-small, and you're not a total head banger intent on ruining your hearing entirely, the De Capo / Kit 1 combo might make you very happy for a very long time. But, if any of these things doesn’t' apply to you, then I think (and my opinion on this may change over time, so "for now") that the suitability of the De Capo's with any 8.5 Watt 300B SET amp is "borderline."

It just so happens that I hit the limits of the pairing early on because I threw some pop music at them that - with "subterranean," hip-hop flavored synth bass - caused the Kit 1 to run out of steam and distort at moderate (in my judgment) volumes. It's like I got the "bad news" early on, and then discovered the good news later in spades. Does that make sense?

As I was listening to a "guilty pleasure" Michael Franks LP from the early 1980's tonight, not expecting much except that I liked the tunes and the musicianship, I was flabbergasted (truly) with what the Kit 1 did with that album. The music was involving and sounded beautiful in a way I've never heard it sound in the 22 years since I bought that LP. I kept thinking, "Oh, so THAT'S what the recording engineer had in mind!" The Kit 1 managed to extract a hidden beauty out of that record that I didn't know was there.

By the way, what PP amp did you end up pairing with the DC's?
Smctigue1:

Oh, also: have you ever heard the Omega's? I spoke to the proprietor and designer who sounds like a lovely guy. He really believes that his hemp cone drivers have eliminated the classic bad rap on single driver speakers: harsh midrange "shout" and limited bandwidth. The super alnico model is probably out of my price range but the Super 7XRS Mk2 might hit the economic sweet spot.