Cable "burning": Real or VooDoo ???

While i have my opinions on this subject, i'd love to hear from others that have tried various methods of "burning in" cables, what was used to do it, what differences were noticed ( if any ), etc... Please be as specific as possible. If your a "naysayer" in this area, please feel free to join in BUT have an open mind and keep this thread on topic. Sean
>
sean
I double blind tested some tires this morning on the interstate. The screeching tires and screams of terror where about the same with both sets, so I will stick with the cheep ones for now.
Isn't this beginning to get really silly? RHUBARB to all. Lets do as Albert says, lets "shut up and dance", exchange and share with each other for the advancement of music in the home and its enjoyment.

I believe you've misread my scribblings. Nowhere have I expressed a fear of DBTs. In fact, I think they have their uses; but the measurement-only crowd ( among whom you seem to number ) puts too much emphasis on them. Put another way, the numbers folks display an almost religious passion in their belief that if it can't be measured, it can't be heard. There is a staggering amount of anecdotal evidence that contradicts that.

I ain't afraid of DBTs, merely think their capability of resolving subtle differences is overdone.

I do believe, again, do believe that eventually the things we benighted listeners hear, and which you do not, will be amenable of quantification: the technology to measure these things just isn't sophisticated enough. Electronic instrumentation is not nearly refined enough to search out the things the human auditory system can perceive.
Jadem6: Okay, PLEASE tell me what methods for comparison you prefer, and what steps you take for eliminating prejudices and biases and ensuring that evaluations are made solely on what is audible. If you have a better way, please tell us what it is.

Albertporter: In what way do I or Stevemj reject "finding what works?" That is precisely our point, to accurately find what works. I do not fit your profile of the people you know in audio? I'm okay with that. And I've been involved with a few state of the art audio products here and there, too, with more in the chute.

Adamanteus: You contradict yourself sharply. You label us the "measurement only" crowd (which is not true; measurement is a tool for understanding and refining designs, circuit behavior, etc., not an end in itself), and then decry our insistance on DBT, which involves listening and nothing else, including measurement.

Also, electronic instrumentation (which has nothing to do with double-blind testing) _can_ detect stuff that not even the most golden ear among us can hear, but that doesn't mean everything that can be measured is useful.

I don't know what rules or laws apply in this forum. Apparently not Ohm's Law, laws of physics, etc. ;)

Jerie: In what way is Stevemj "inexperienced, ignorant," blah, blah, blah? He exhibits a strong knowledge of audio, which I find to be a very refreshing change of pace here.

It's inane to me to talk about this being better than that, and then reject making a fair and direct head-to-head comparison between them to see if it's true and to what degree. Why have races with a start and a finish line? Gee, we'll just _discuss_ which car and driver are faster and more skilled and choose the winner that way. Let's nip this baseball season in the bud; everybody knows the best team is ... who?