can a new amp amp tame my speakers?

Just spent some time listening to what I've been planning to upgrade to for main speakers. PSB Synchronys. The Imagine T2's are close, but slightly veiled in comparison. My current, but old, Infinity Kappa 7's really don't give much away to the PSB's. My amp is an old Yamaha MX2, 125wpc, and I've heard them described as bright or harsh, and that's the only complaint I really have with the sound now. Can a well-chosen amp tame the highs on the Kappa'a, which use a ribbon-style tweeter? Or is the 'taming' I seek only going to happen with a speaker upgrade. I honestly don't mind upgrading the speakers, and fully expected to, but after today's auditioning, I'm wondering if I'm going to get that much benefit from that level of investment. $3500+ is a healthy chunk of coin for benefits of slimmer profile and tamed highs. In terms of imaging, weight, and bass, the Kappa's are equal, imo. The system is also the theater, but the avr can power the surrounds, so an amp upgrade could be 2 channel. A power boost is a must too, as the current 125wpc isn't enough for when wifey's not home and the volume gets wound up ;)
english210
I had the same issue, my Paradigms had a harsh top end with sibilance on some tracks. A Parasound Halo A21 was a big step up over the Emotiva amp it replaced. No sibilance, nicer mid range and imaging with more accurate bass.
All the components matter. With the same speakers, one amp will sound harsh, and the other smooth. Likewise, change the speakers but leave the amp alone, and you may have different results with different speakers.

Based on my own experience only, the most important parts of the component chain are speakers, then amp, then preamp, then source. Somewhere in there is the room and room treatments, and in my opinion cables make the least amount of difference (if any at all).

In this case, I can't help but think the amp could use an upgrade.
I've looked into Parasounds as well. The hard part is auditions. Surfing the forums, Emotiva is a great value, but likely to be no help with the issue I'm trying to solve. I agree speakers make the greatest difference in sound, but given the amp needs to go anyway, I'm hoping to achieve the goal for a lot less than the cost of speakers. I found a 1200 ST500 here, Halo amps are a lot more for equal power, but I'm willing to go there if necessary. Anyone have direct experience with the two? Halo vs their New Classic line? Also, the objectionable highs issue is a problem only at high volumes. Does that change opinions from those of you who know about how amps work?
Yes, it's hard to audition and reading online is not the most helpful sometimes. I can't help you with the New Classic vs Halo comparison, but I would suspect that the 2 lines would have similar house sound and if it comes down to it you could call Parasound, their C.service is apparently amazing.

But the W4S ST500 sounds like a pretty good option. BTW, my sibilance issue was only at higher volumes above 80db or so. I'd say you're on the right track, just take your time and do the research. My Halo purchase was a shot in the dark and I got lucky.
Try an AVA Synergy 450 or 550, a 550 did wonders for my Maggies over an Odyssey and you get 30 daysa to decide.
Synergy's are a big step up from older AVA designs IMHO.