can a new amp amp tame my speakers?

Just spent some time listening to what I've been planning to upgrade to for main speakers. PSB Synchronys. The Imagine T2's are close, but slightly veiled in comparison. My current, but old, Infinity Kappa 7's really don't give much away to the PSB's. My amp is an old Yamaha MX2, 125wpc, and I've heard them described as bright or harsh, and that's the only complaint I really have with the sound now. Can a well-chosen amp tame the highs on the Kappa'a, which use a ribbon-style tweeter? Or is the 'taming' I seek only going to happen with a speaker upgrade. I honestly don't mind upgrading the speakers, and fully expected to, but after today's auditioning, I'm wondering if I'm going to get that much benefit from that level of investment. $3500+ is a healthy chunk of coin for benefits of slimmer profile and tamed highs. In terms of imaging, weight, and bass, the Kappa's are equal, imo. The system is also the theater, but the avr can power the surrounds, so an amp upgrade could be 2 channel. A power boost is a must too, as the current 125wpc isn't enough for when wifey's not home and the volume gets wound up ;)
english210
@ English210,your amp may or may not need 200 hrs to settle in,I gave that answer because after that many hours the amp would have no excuses for the sound it is providing being a used amp,a new amp would require 500 hrs to be sure of break-in.happy listening!
Ok, thanks. Last night was better than the night before. It's on all the time. I was concerned about popping when I turned the system on/off, leaving the amp on, but there wasn't any, so that's good...I'm a happy camper..:)

But in the back of my mind there's that little niggle...how much better might the PSB's sound..?? :)
@ english210,psb's thats funny!,I respect your infinitys way more than those 2 dimensional sounding speakers any day!,your speakers are capable of alot with the right equipment that is very exspensive!cheers!
Well, it just keeps getting better. Sound stage focusing up nicely, sub is turned off for two channel, and the bass output is amazing. I am still stunned at the difference the amp made.

But...there's always a but...the extreme highs are still too much, and not accurate. Most noticeable on piano notes for me. There's a shrill-tinniness that I can only ascribe to the ribbons-style tweeters (or to my ears).

Audiolabyrinth, I am somewhat surpised to hear that, since the PSB's sounded great to me. I am also thinking that the environment they were in at the store (large open room, no boundaries to the side) would make them sound worse than in my 'real life sized' 12X19X8 room. As I've said before, and hence my quandary, the Infinity's don't give much away to the PSB's (except as the differences in room would effect the PSB's), but they don't sound as good. It's just that I don't hear $3500 difference in price, so it's a hard leap to make.

I may try the tissue-over-the-tweeter trick I read about here and elsewhere. But I would be open to other recommendations, either of speaker upgrade or other tricks-n-tips. There's no doubt the Odyssey is bringing out the best in the Kappa's, but they are hardly the last word in sound. Given that I like the sound of the PSB's, and the size works aesthetically, bass extension isn't critical since I do have a sub, and $$ aren't unlimitted, what do you all think???

Thanks
It sounds like you want new speakers. Don't expect any of us to stop you. ;)

If anyone is going to be of help, we need to know what source, and cabling you are using. Your current problem can possibly be solved with a preamp, cabling, or source, but maybe you need new speakers to start with???