can a new amp amp tame my speakers?

Just spent some time listening to what I've been planning to upgrade to for main speakers. PSB Synchronys. The Imagine T2's are close, but slightly veiled in comparison. My current, but old, Infinity Kappa 7's really don't give much away to the PSB's. My amp is an old Yamaha MX2, 125wpc, and I've heard them described as bright or harsh, and that's the only complaint I really have with the sound now. Can a well-chosen amp tame the highs on the Kappa'a, which use a ribbon-style tweeter? Or is the 'taming' I seek only going to happen with a speaker upgrade. I honestly don't mind upgrading the speakers, and fully expected to, but after today's auditioning, I'm wondering if I'm going to get that much benefit from that level of investment. $3500+ is a healthy chunk of coin for benefits of slimmer profile and tamed highs. In terms of imaging, weight, and bass, the Kappa's are equal, imo. The system is also the theater, but the avr can power the surrounds, so an amp upgrade could be 2 channel. A power boost is a must too, as the current 125wpc isn't enough for when wifey's not home and the volume gets wound up ;)
english210
@ deebarnes,, come on over to the thread,the taralabs the one versus the 0.8EX,, you will enjoy that thread!
Awesome! I don't use the sub for music at all. Bass extension defies logic, so the sub is now movies only. I have now heard the Kappa's reach their limits, which I've never experienced before, even back when I sold them new. A test track with organ notes caused them to cry uncle. The air and openness is there, notes 'hang' in the air with what seems to me to be untruncated delay if the recording has the information. I could pick nits, and I do wonder what 'more' there is available, which is why I asked about cables/wires. I do feel the ribbon Emit tweeter is a little hot for me at high volumes still. I'm not quite sure if I'm getting all the expanse of sound stage that might be available, but this weekend I'm a bachelor, so hopefully there'll be time for lots of experiments...:)
Deb, I'm definitely enjoying myself! I was in the biz 25 years ago, but had to give up my 'crack habit' as I call it. Now I'm able to start again, building on what I had. The Odyssey amp I just got is my first 'real' piece of good gear, and I'm blown away by the leap up from my old Yammy amp. My Infinity Kappa's have NEVER sounded so good. So I'm happy, except for that overly-bright top end that still rears it's head when I get heavy handed on the volume. Don't get me wrong, it's HUGELY reduced compared to the old amp, and the bass extension and output is an added benefit I didn't expect. So I'm enjoying myself, just researching ways to squeeze that little out of what I have.. ;)