Can you get great analog sound from analog tape?

Can you get a great sound stage with analog tape such as a good quality reel to reel or cassette. If you record from a good quality turntable to tape will it be nearly as good?
schange
cassette decks don't cut it?

I make some pretty nice tapes with my Nakamichi 3 head deck
Granted reel to reel can be better but you would be surprised at the results of a good cassette deck and the taps are very cheap these days ($1.25 per tape at sams for Maxell XLII). I play cassettes in the car, don't want to deal with a cheap car cd player or ruining my disks

I would love to have a 4 or 8 track reel to reel to record my own music tracks, but the players I've seen are pricey, and you can get an 8 track BOSS digital setup for $500
I must agree with the posts above. One caveat: tapes are expensive and not always easy to find. BUT, recording from vinyl with care (i.e. paying attention to wires of all sorts as Detlof notes) you would need a VERY revealing system to gauge sonic differences -- esp. if you're well calibrated &, I've heard (i.e. hadn't tried), if you use dolby.
Since I don't own a reel-to-reel, I cannot attest to this, but I'd be a bit surprised if an analogue tape copy were truly sonically indistinguishable from the vinyl original. Whatever wires you used.
I use a Nakamichi CR-7A, which is calibrated and clean. It makes very acceptable analog recordings. The noise floor is higher, but the imaging is right on with the source. I use this primarily to tape things I either wish to keep stone mint or can not obtain. I also have a Sony ES DAT deck, but I find myself using the Nak more often even with the DAT run through an Ultra Link II DAC. Tom
Bomarc: you're right in yr post above (doubting that tape is indistinguishable fm vinyl). I should have noted "subjectively" indistinguishable!
I find that the musical "essence" is retained i.e. the intrinsic qualities of vinyl are easily perceptible. In my experience, the tape (used to) draw me into the music more than into the reproduction quality of the medium (the latter happening to me when I listen to the cd version of a vinyl I have).