cartridge Benz, Koestu, Lyra

I have a Scout with a Benz Glider H2 currently, running through a AR PH5 phono pre. I am looking to upgrade my cart. Would a Lyra Helikon be overkill and would I have a problem with anti skate? I have heard the Koetsu Black and loved the airiness. Would a Benz woodbody give me any of that air? It's really difficult to listen to diffrent carts, plus they are always on a diiferent rig. I am probably going to buy used.
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Jeff
jdodmead
I bought my Koetsu Black from a reputable party on audiogon. He said it only had 10 hours of use since it was on a demo table in his audio store. I have no doubt that this was true. I needed to play the cartridge for about 50 hours before it sounded right. The highs opened up and it became more transparent in the mids, while still having all of the glory of the Koetsu sound. Also VTA plays an important role with the Koetsu. I found that the arm just slightly lower in the back (bearing side) is ideal and tightened up the bass tremendously.
100 does seem to be the magic number on a lot of the listings. But I got lucky and it was only 10.
Time will tell. The seller has also agreed to taking it back, if I am not happy with it. I doubt that will happen, but it's an offer, that I personally have not made to anyone.
Life is short, that's a lesson that i am constantly reminded of. We can't worry about the little things.
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Believe me, I have no problems buying used equipment, almost everything I own is used. I also trust most AudiogoNer's, generally this is a very good group. My biggest dissapointments have been when buying used cartridges, NOS tubes, and used vinyl. I find that the AudiogoN rating scale is of no use in these areas, and some individuals ideas of usage and quality sound are very different from my own. I tend to buy these items new now, except for NOS tubes, which I only use reputable dealers who accept returns.

As for cd players, amps, preamps, speakers, turntables, etc...I have had no issues whatsoever, aside of shipping damage (knock wood).

I have purchased used cartridges before and been happy, and hopefully you will be too. All I'm saying is that this is one of the riskier gray areas here on AudiogoN, as condition is not as easy to quantify. The offer to return if not happy sounds promising, though a bit brave on the seller's part. So you both are taking a leap of faith. You in that his description is accurate, and him in that you can properly setup and align the cartridge w/o any damage.
Hopefully you are both rewarded.

For the record Jeff, I believe Bill's (Audiofeil) comment was made with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. :)

And yes, life is short, and we can't worry about the little things, and cartridges certainly are little things, so there you have it.

John
Jeff,
As the smile indicates, my comments were tongue in cheek. On the serious side however, I'm not the gambling type but I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the cartridges for sale on Audiogon have more, than fewer hours, of advertised use.

Call me a skeptic.
Thanks,again for all of your advice, I really do appreciate it. I'm sure I will be asking for more.

Jeff