cartridge Benz, Koestu, Lyra

I have a Scout with a Benz Glider H2 currently, running through a AR PH5 phono pre. I am looking to upgrade my cart. Would a Lyra Helikon be overkill and would I have a problem with anti skate? I have heard the Koetsu Black and loved the airiness. Would a Benz woodbody give me any of that air? It's really difficult to listen to diffrent carts, plus they are always on a diiferent rig. I am probably going to buy used.
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Jeff
jdodmead
Jeff,
As the smile indicates, my comments were tongue in cheek. On the serious side however, I'm not the gambling type but I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the cartridges for sale on Audiogon have more, than fewer hours, of advertised use.

Call me a skeptic.
Thanks,again for all of your advice, I really do appreciate it. I'm sure I will be asking for more.

Jeff
Jeff

doesn't the arc ph5 require high output cartridges or does it have a line boost for MC low output cartridges?

I have a ARC ph2 and it requires 2-2.5 mv cartridges

The Koetsu black is 0.6mv

any easy ways around this with my ph2? thanks
Tom
I disagree with Raul's statement on 01/07/07. Jeff's ARC PH5 is more than up to the task of providing excellent support for many top tier cartridges including the Lyra Helikon. My system includes an ARC PH5 and a Lyra Argo...both sound marvelous in my system, in my room. IMHO, I do not believe a phono preamp has to cost $8,000 to $10,000 to be considered "a very top rate phonolinepreamp".

But, Raul, during your next tour of Texas, you are more than welcome to bring your preamp by for a demo to prove me wrong. :-) I am a friend of Albert Porter's so maybe we could arrange a get together with a number of folks in the DFW area.
Dear Mcrheist: The price tell us almost nothing about the quality sound reproduction on almost any audio device.

The subject is not price but design and design fulfilment.

Do you think that the PH5 is in the same performance league that FM Acoustics, ASR or Dtarzeel ?.

Btw, it will be a pleasure to meet you and to meet your friends, please e-mail me.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.