Cary SLI-80 Thoughts?

I am currently strongly considering the Cary SLI-80 integrated tube amp because I love the sound of tubes and have heard so many great things about CARY amps. This one also fits my budget on the second hand market (around $2000-2500). My question is, are there better options for this size amp in my price range that I should consider? I could stretch my budget a bit if there were considerably better options. I am driving a pair of Harbeth Monitor 30s and listen mostly to an analog source, but also have tons of CDs so I still listen to those as well. I currently have a cheap Chinese tube amp that sounds great but lacks some features I want. I would also like to have a higher grade amp to enjoy a higher level of sound quality, of course. I should not fail to mention the look of this amp is dead sexy. Have also considered Primaluna but since the Cary amps are U.S. made I feel a bit more confident in getting support, which I know I will need with owning tubes. Thanks for your opinions.
128x128snackeyp
My main system is all Atma-Sphere but I wanted a Cary integrated for a second system and I wanted the F-1 direct coupled, all-triode version; preferably with the cool blue chassis and silver face plate.

Well, it took a while but the one I wanted finally came along and I couldn't be happier! It throws a big, open, airy soundstage with great imaging and layering front to back. It also has a wonderful tonal balance that sounds very natural and believable.

The all-triode version only puts out 40 wpc but sounds like a lot more and will easily drive reasonably efficient speakers quite well. Frankly, I've heard several amps that were switchable between triode and ultra-linear and I've always preferred triode by a wide margin.

To my ears, the bass is more than adequate but I'm running KT-88's. I know some people like the EL-34, which is what my Cary came with(two different sets) but both sounded too sweet and syrupy.

I broke down and bought a quad of the Shuguang Treasure tubes and glad I did. Still sweet and organic like the EL-34 but way more open, transparent, and extended at the frequency extremes. Also, noticeably more weight and power to the music.

I also replaced the factory buffer, driver and rectifier tubes with NOS which also took things up a couple notches.

For the money, an SLI-80 will be hard to beat. I've had mine for seven months and it's a keeper!

Well, it sounds like my instincts on this were correct. The Cary sounds like a winner. I appreciate all of the input I received. Thank you!
I also have and love this amp (with treasure tubes). Highly recommended.

Not meaning to high jack this thread, can any recommend what an upgrade from this amp would be in terms of a new unit or separates? I am starting to day dream a bit about the "next level" .....
I have not heard the Cary, but the first version of the Manley Stingray is VERY good in that price range. Should be less than the Cary actually.
The Stingray probably is a nice little integrated but it only puts out 25watts triode/50 ultra-linear vs the Cary's 40/80 and... the Stingray is butt ugly! I couldn't get past it's looks.