CD Player or DAC

I have a Bel Canto Evo 2i integrated amp and JM Lab Chorus speakers. I have about $1,500 to spend on a source and need some help. Bel Canto of course suggests that I go with a DAC 2 while others have recommended I buy a warmer sounding source to go with the Chorus speakers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.
shimanole
Do you currently have a transport?

If not I would go with the Jolida JD100 if you are looking for warmth. If you insist on spending up to the $1,500, get it modded.

If you want detail go for a used Cary 303/200 (which I've seen for $1,500. They are very reasonable now that the 303/300 is out.
CD player unless you already have an excellent transport.
I had a Bel Canto 1.1 DAC.
Not bad, nothing special.
For $1500 you have many options new and used.
IMHO adding a DAC is a better option. IMHO the digital cable is way more important then the transport. I tried six different transports and the bigger system improvement came from a better digital cable. That being said, there is a CAL Alpha tube DAC on the Gon now for $600, offer $450 and get some NOS tubes, or find an Electrocompaniet DAC or better yeet find a used older Audio Logic tube DAC. These will better any CDP in the $5000 range with a good digital cable and your current CDP.

Happy Listening.