CD Tweaks and Longterm Damage

I was reading the blurb for LAT International's C Diamond CD treatment. They bragged that it has a ph of 7, while some other tweaks they have tested have ph values as low as 5. The latter they claimed would damage CDs over time, just like Armorall did for those who used it.

Has anyone tested the ph levels for Optrix, (new and improved) Auric Illuminator, or Vivid? Do any of these pose a longterm risk for CDs?
socprof
I would like to add my praise for Shine Ola as well.

I only have experience with one other product which I purchased about a year ago. ReVeel, sold by Russ Andrews (www.russandrews.com) is also advertised to 'Remove the Mould Release Agent (MRA) left on the surface of the disc from the manufacturing process'.

Just tonight I conducted an experiment.

1. Played a set of two well recorded untreated CDs (Best Audiophile Voices II - Premium Records, Cassandra Wilson - Glamoured).

2. Applied ReVeel treatment to the CDs.

ReVeel comes on an impregnated napkin in a foil pouch. You lightly scrub the disc from center to edge then rinse under warm running water. Then pat dry with a paper towel.

3. Again listened to the CDs.

4. Applied Shine Ola treatment to the CDs using the supplied 3M cloth.

5. Again listened to the CDs.

I found little difference in CD sound quality after applying ReVeel.

However after applying Shine Ola, I found a significant improvement similar to others:
- improved clarity
- better PRAT (pace, rythym, and timing)
- perceived increase in volume (maybe 1-1.5 dB)

Actually disappointed with the ReVeel since it is also advertised to remove the MRA.

Now a couple of questions for others with experience with Shine Ola:
- is application of Shine Ola just a one-shot treatment or is periodic re-application of benefit. If yes, at what frequency?
- two sprays seems to deposit plenty of solution on the CD. Is there any additional benefit/reason for applying the 3-5 sprays recommended in the instructions.
- is Shine Ola improvement transport-dependent? Are some machines/lasers better at reading the digital bits without errors? I am using a modded Toshiba 3950 DVD player feeding a Bel Canto DAC 2.0.
- what is the best way to clean the 3M cloth?
- I also get my CDs cryo-treated. Does Shine Ola need to be re-applied after cryo treatment?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Hello Shuang,

I haven't noticed one bit of difference, nor did my friend who conducted the software tests, between 2 sprays or 5 sprays of Shine Ola. I don't know why they recommend so many sprays, it is not needed.

Regarding re-application, I never do unless the disc becomes dirty again. Remember, Shine Ola is just a cleaner and does not leave a film that will wear off (or raise BLER). Once cleaned and the mold release agents are removed, it is fine.

I haven't noticed any difference with Shine Ola that would make me believe that it is transport dependant, it works great on everything our group has thrown at it, from a $30 DVD player for the kids to a EMM Labs and various modified SACD players. Some transports will read better, but that defines the ability of the transport, not Shine Ola or any other cleaner.

I've cleaned my 3M cloths with Woolite by hand, (first cleaning my hands with anti-bacterial soap), and a final rinse of the 3M cloth with Record Research Labs Super Vinyl Wash, just because it is the cleanest water that I know of, and therefore contains less contaminates. I then let the 3M cloth air dry using a thumb tack, a string and a safety pin. My Wife is mad about the holes in the ceiling, so I'll have to figure something else out soon, but it works.

Regarding the cyro treatment, I'd re-clean the discs, just because their handling is unknown throughout the entire cryo process. I'd rather be certain that they are clean and sounding as good as they can.

I hope this helps ...
Thanks for the information. 2 sprays seemed plenty to me.

I will try some of your cleaning tips as well.
Three questions:

• What is, "Cyro treating a cd?"
• ...and how do you do it?
• What are the benefits of painting the edge of a cd with a blck permanent marker?

Thanks,
According to my understanding Shine Ola is only a cleaner and not a "treatment". That is, it claims nothing more than effective cleaning of residues. Other "treatments" claim to go beyond this function and perhaps they do, I don't know. But if a "treatment" does more than clean the CD doesn't this imply some kind of chemical interaction? If this is true how can we be sure it's benign?