Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
schubert, of course I've heard "the big guy" perform Nessum Dorma and it was enjoyable.  But he didn't tingle my emotional fibers as Bjorling's version does.  I say that as someone without any musical training but as an active listener since I was about 14, and that was decades ago!

I feel the same about some of Uchida's performances.  Few musicians bring the same emotional response for me as her playing.

BTW, as an audio hobbyist I loved your comment "I have the greatest 15K system in the world and it only cost me 45K !"  I may have to quote that among a few friends. ;^)
Thanks pryso, it sounds funny but it’s da truth or close to it anyway .

Re; no musical training . In Berlin my neighbor was a player in one of
the best German orchestras , the Berlin R.I.A.S .
My wife was in a near mother-daughter relationship with her.
As we lived only 3 blocks  from their hall I often was privy to conversations
 of many players in her house .
One said to me , "I envy you advanced listeners , I'm too busy listening to how
my part is being played  to just enjoy the music , "
Though I am envious of artists being able to produce music, I really couldn't envision being one.
B
As a casual and mediocre musician (piano and classical singing) you appreciate the great artists even more and become a lot more critical of the rest. This is bad since it change your focus from music appreciation to being a critic and those two do not go together unless you hit nirvana.

I've heard Pollini in Symphony hall in Chicago playing  Schumann's "Kreisleriana" in 2001 and that was a Nirvana moment. Also heard Hvorostovsky sing the " Cortigiani, vil razza dannata" from Rigoletto with piano accompaniment also in the Chicago Symphony hall. Another nirvana moment. These moments are the exception and not the norm.

I think that is why I enjoy rock, pop and jazz a lot as well, since I'm critical but not from a classical music training back ground.
schubert, I expected my admission about lack of musical training would be well understood.  I don't have much basis for technical evaluation in comparing performances.  So I rely on emotional reaction, along with memories of other performances of the same music which is where personal preferences come to play.  Offered just to be clear.