Classical speakers that do violins well??

All my serious listening is classical.

I hate nothing more than steely shrillness on violins or a glare on a soprano's voice.

I love nothing more than the faithful reproduction of the tone colors of unamplified instruments (the wood body of the violin and cello, the felt pad excting the sinewy strings of a piano).

YET, I hate bloated, indistinct, overly warm, billowy lower mids and upper bass (what I gather some think of as "musical").

Do you have any experience with speakers that might meet these needs for $2K, give or take (new or used)? Can be either floorstander or monitor, but with at least enough bass to perform decently on orchestral music. THANKS.
-Bob
hesson11
I agree with the abover, and almost any "british" sound speaker: Spendor, Proac, Harbeth, etc.
Thanks, folks.

Sorry about the missing info: Quad 66 preamp and Aragon 2004 amp (100W). Both LP and CD sources (equipment in flux). Room size 21' by 12' by 8' high.
-Bob
Vandersteens and Harbeth perform well with SS, might even be prefarable. The Harbeth HL5 might sell in that range used. The VS 3ASig would also be in that range and be truly "full range" (within reason:)). Don't know the Aragons, but 100 Watt SS amps are genrally a good approach for the 3As.
If you are able to accomodate them, I think Maggie 1.6's would do what you are asking for. In my opinion Aragons and Maggies are an excellent combination.

Duke
Duke, do you think the 1.6s sans subwoofer would cover the bass well enough for orchestral? I would imagine they would sound very nice on strings.