Clearaudio Double Smart Matrix or Loricraft PRC4

Anyone with exspearience with these two specific units shed some light.

I don't currently have much of a record collection but looks like I will, just got back into vinyl and really enjoying so a really good cleaner is important to me.

The Clearaudio; I like the idea of cleaning both sides at the same time but just not sure if there will be issues with that down the road and really just how good of a job does it do. How quiet is it compared to the specific Loricraft I'm looking at.

The Loricraft; I like how it uses that thread for cleaning, a freind has the PRC3, a few years old and seems to be very happy with and says it does a great job, I saw him do a record and it really didn't take all the long but was pretty load to me anyways once the vacuum was put on. Maybe I don't even need the model I'm looking at, put the $400 into some music, maybe the PRC3 MK2 would be sufficient.

Thoughts....

dev
Ok, ok. Once again my words have been ripped from my mouth and feed back to me in large chunks. :-)

Steam isn't doing as much for me as I thought. It may have helped some used records but I'm back on the soaking band wagon. Doug soaked my previously cleaned, LP for at least 15 minutes with the AIVS enzyme cleaner and the results proved without a doubt that my current, faster regimen is not cutting it. I'm not quite ready to spring for a Loricraft, but I am going back to the slow, soaking method.

Looks like I won't be cutting into that backlog anytime soon. :-)
Dan,

Your report rings sad but true in my experience. I soak new and used but fairly clean LPs for 10-15 min. with the AIVS enzyme cleaner that Doug uses and I'm astounded with the improvement in clarity and dynamics. I have done this demo for two audio buddies and they, too, heard the dramatic effect. I'm afraid it takes time to soak and clean LPs.

To be fair, I have not done a controlled experiment with many cleaners and a wand-type vacuum versus my Loricraft, but I can say the AIVS/Loricraft combo is certainly more effective than my old L'Art du Son/VPI16.5 combo.
... astounded with the improvement in clarity and dynamics
Yup. Dan's steam cleaned LP yesterday sounded dull, flat and boring. Yet this was a new 45rpm Blue Note reissue that ought to have sounded at least decent.

Actual enzyme soak time was probably ~10 minutes but that was an accident. We were eating dinner and enjoying friends (Hi Sunnyboy!) and I forgot it for a while. Normally I soak ~5 minutes and that's usually enough.

The improvement in Dan's LP was startling if you weren't expecting it. Paul and I had heard 100 variations of that "almost clean" dullness during our record cleaning trials so I was pretty confident. Happily, we brought a boring record to life!
Peterayer,
And I will still revert back to the last paragraph on my first post on 7-10-10 in this thread, where I said my VPI 16.5 with AVIS Cleaning products will give better results than a $4,000 Loricraft, or a $5200 Clearaudio Double Matrix with lesser cleaners.

I'll still stand behind this statement with no doubt. And as Dan_Ed's discovered, even the steaming has proven less promising than at first thought.

I can forsee some having to "run back to the drawing board" so to speak, just as I once read Doug D. having to do in the past. Meaning an entire collection may have to be gone through again, but the results would probably proove worthy, just as Doug had found.

Thankfully, for somebody like Doug, with all his hands on research, testing, and learning from his experiences, both good, and the not so good, this man has saved me a considerable amount of time, and money from investigating other cleaners on the market. I thank him for placing me on a good path with RCM's, and Cleaners-Rinses.

I know I'm going to sound like a commerical, or shill, but I'm unsure if any of you have tried AVIS's new #15 Pre-Cleaner. I have no affiliation with AIVS, other than being a totally satisfied customer of his products.

I've found this product even more effective as a first step cleaner, it seems to work more quickly, works more efficiently, and is one fine, outstanding product. I highly recommend trying this one, and adding it to your arsenal. You won't be diappointed on how this one works. Mark
Mark,
I was not aware of the AVIS #15. Is it used before the enzyme soak or instead of it? How would you describe one versus the other?

Regarding your stance that the VPI 16.5 with the 4-step AVIS gives better results than a "$4000 Loricraft ...with lesser cleaners" I have no doubt. I'm curious to know if, given the use of the AVIS cleaners, which type of RCM - wand type vs. point nozzle - works better. I have not made a direct comparison, but I would gues that the Loricraft would outperform the VPI 16.5 in absolute terms. Time, effort and cost are another matter.

I, too, am most appreciative for the information I have learned from reading Doug Deacon's many posts about analog, including the Magic Eraser discovery.