Comparison Cary 306, Wadia 581, EMM Labs CDSA

Hi all,

it's time to get a new (used) CD / SACD player and I reduced the possibilities to the following 3 candidates:
Cary SACD 306 (PRO)
Wadia 581 (SE)
EMM Labs CDSA (SE)
(Volume control and/or digital inputs NOT a requirement but SACD playback a MUST)
Had anyone the possibility to compare these players? I think they are (used) in more or less the same price range and I've not the possibility to listen to all of them so I am really curious and can't wait to hear your opinions.
Listen a lot to (female) voices (Jazz, Rock, Singer/Songwriter), Classic and also Rock and Electronic.

Thanks a lot
Peter
bauerp
Hi Elberoth, can you discuss the differences that cause you to prefer the Accuphase and ARC over some of the others? Curious 1531 owner here....
Arthur,

I will post my impressions in Reference DAC thread - it will be a longer writeup, which just takes time to write.

In short, MBL have had a certain forwardnes in the upper midrange/lower treble, which I did not notice at first, but made me sell the player eventually.

Both CD-7 and DP-78 also have much better resolution than 1531 (I'm talking about HF-air, delicacy and extension here) and deeper soundstage. Be warned though, that CD-7 takes awfully long to break in. I alsmost gave up on him. It really takes off after ~400h. Before that, it sounds like crap - muddy, diffused and grainy.
Megan, Might wanna recheck your stats. Consumer response has been so bad for the CDSA that EMM will make ANYBODY a dealer, even you. Just to turn a unit. Let's forget about the recall of the ENTIRE first batch. Mr EMM is a SOTA guy, not too good at the price point thing. Yet. Tell me again how many Cary Pros you've seen listed? I can see by your feedback that you have tried them all! Keep your Civic and please stay out of the deep end. Z.
i won't comment on the cary as i've not heard it. but let me chime in on the following:
1) i covered EMM's build quality in my review on dagogo. that said, i've never had a problem, its just not built to the same standards as esoteric or wadia. its also $6k cheaper than esoteric, and has a better track record than wadia (i've not heard the 581, but owned the 861se, which was not comparable to the EMM).
2) wadia had LOTS of problems w/ 1st gen 581s, which is why you saw so many for sale. the later rev's seem to be fine though. shame some buyers became beta testers though---but that's for wadia to sort out. ---this is the first time i've heard the same accusation leveled at EMM, ever.
3) the EMM is a very high-selling player (i'd have to go back to shahin at Emm to get exact vol's, but i want to say it was > 5k). no wonder some are for sale.
4) no evidence whatsoever that EMM makes "anyone" a dealer.
5) at this time, the only major player in pro digital that also goes audiophile is EMM. think the studios use junk?

now, nowhere was i willing to promo or bash the sonics of these fine players; meagan was right--at this level, its personal preference. but for zieman to come down hard on EMM without evidence sure smacks of an agenda.