Counterpoint SA 5000 vs SA 5.1

I currently own a SA 5.1 and love it, with the exception of the low gain in the phono. I'm considering buying a pre-pre such as the SA 2 but am also wondering about an SA 5000.

Does anyone one know how an SA 5.1 would compare against an SA 5000? Phono is my main source.
Thanks,
Robert
rbatsch
I had both SA2 and SA5000. I need both to work with my low output MC. The SA2 is okay but a bit noisy and not enough gain for my setup since the amp and speaker sensitivity is very low.
I modified my SA5000 with all vitaminQ oil caps as it gives a fuller sound over the stock.
I owned an SA 5.1 for several years, thought it was a huge jump above the 7.1 that I started with. An SA-5000 came across my path at a bargain price, and without ANY upgrades it was far, far sweeter, more detailed, accurate and musical than the 5.1. I use the jfet MC stage in it and get sounds that continue to impress my high-end audio buddies, who can't believe I don't have a stepup or a separate phono stage. The line stage leaves little to quibble.

I want to send this baby to Michael Elliot to get some big time upgrades, but I can scarcely bear to part with it for even a short time.
If you are using a moving coil cartridge, have you considered a step up transformer. Bent Audio has several different models to choose from. Ranging from 14db to 26db. Could be your answer.