Current feeling on stacked quads?

thinking about stacking els57's, but there seems to be division about this idea. thoughts? suggestions? advice?
mothra
> I wonder what you mean with "light", wished you would describe this more. Is this a coloration you heard or a lack of dynamics?

As I said, I have trouble describing it with any conventional terminology. It's a lightness or delicacy that is ALWAYS present in live, unamplified music. In my system, the Atma-Spheres did not have this characteristic to anywhere near the degree than the Ayres do. It is certainly not a function of sheer power, nor of dynamics (well, microdynamics perhaps). And since I find it closer to reality, I would not call it a coloration.

Since I would not have recognized the comparatively 'darker' character of the Atma-Spheres without having heard the Ayres, perhaps you should audition the MX-Rs?
Curriemt11,
I see now what you mean. Had a look at your system. Very nice indeed! However I don't seem to hear through my Atmas, what you heard through yours, and I am very familiar with live events as well. But then our systems are very different. I have the bigger Atmas and the U-1PX Sound Labs and a different cables-, source gear- and front end setup to yours, not to speak of the room. I am also using a pair of a-Capella plasma tweeters with the Sound Labs.
Whatever, you certainly have made me curious about the MX-Rs and I'll take up your suggestion and take two long ears-fulls at the next opportunity. Enjoyed our exchange!
Cheers,
Detlof
I have both stacked Quads(ESL 57's) and SoundLab A-1's. The Quads can't approach the A-1's in either dynamic range, or maximum SPL. And the A-1's are far more durable. You can push them near their limits without worrying about damage. Wish the same were true for Quads, love them even as I do. But the Quads are wonderfully transparent, even in the stacked configuration, and not highly demanding of the amp the way A-1's are(except that a 30w or less amp is crucial). My stacked Quads have the same splendid midrange that single units do, only a little larger in size. I don't understand why Curriemt11 had the odd experience in this regard, but suspect something else was wrong, possibly a bad panel. Either one of these speakers will provide a clear window on the music that is very rare in AudioLand.
Those of you attending CES and THE Show in Las Vegas next month might like to visit room 4056 at the Flamingo, site of THE Show. Sound Lab and Teo Audio will be showing with Atma-Sphere electronics and some other world class products. As a dealer for these manufacturers I will be there some of the time and invite you to stop by for a listen.

Brian Walsh