Dedicated phono-pre for MM only?

Hi All,
the subject of phono-pres, specifically 'adapted' to MM came up in some related postings.

IF, and only if, MMs are much to ones liking --- why spend your buck on some 'halve backed' 60dB plus, MC gain requirement, stage? Why not consider put the $$$ into a TOP 40dB gain stage of either SS or tube?

Raul had more thoughs on the subject as he mentioned before, and might share, why he knows that a TOP MM compared to MC stage circuit requirement might NOT be -one suit fits all-.

There could even be a nice argument to fit a tube gain stage only into an otherwise SS only system!?

Again, the $buck saved on the 20dB plus circuitry could be translated into the BEST circuit for an MM.
I realise, that most such stages were simply fitted inside some older TOP pre-amps, (e.g. Jadis...).
I have not come across a **dedicated** , current 40dB stage neither in nor outside a pre-amp.

Thank you,
Axel
axelwahl
Thank you very much for the additions Lewm. I've already made an offer for an Allnic H 1200. Let's see if the seller accepts it and, eventually how it sounds with the Soundsmith The Voice. Pablo.
Hi,
I'm still looking for a clue, given that MM carts like the 'simpler' single-ended designs, and some that find:
- the fewer components in the signal path the better- it could make for a 'simple' but great MM only design. (Don't forget a tube)

In fact, having mentioned Jadis might just be that, alas too much $$$$ for their flavour of genius...

Next up I'd think of Tim de Paravicini's EAR834P MM only, as some would say the step-up for MC could very easily be bettered. So for MM only - no need.

One thing might be power supply 'simplicity' (no regulation at all?), and some other circuit issues, that sprouted a number of aftermarket mods.

Are there any other such designs we could add to this one?

Axel
I would thoroughly recomend the DIY Pass Pearl phono stage. I built one , and using it with transformers for MC level gain. It marvelous