Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
The iPhone app filters out the record runout. Easy to do since record runout has a 1.8 second period. And I go right back to the record runout issue. Record speed accuracy is at least an order of magnitude worse than any high end table made today. Sure, you might loose between zero to 1/3 of a rotation during one side of record play (approx 833 rotations total). So what? Don't tell me anyone can hear that. WoW&Flutter is more critical an issue and that gets back to the motor quality and it's speed control circuits. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't believe drive types matter that much regarding speed accuracy. I think drive types affect the sound character of the turntable as much as all of the other design features of a given turntable such as plinth, mass, and dissapation of vibrational energy. If Wow&Flutter is <0.05% then it is all about the record and how the table/tonearm extracts the information. I just can't get past the fact that the record center hole accuracy produces a Wow&Flutter in the 0.5% range. Without a self centering tt/platter design, that number cannot be bested.
Dear Richardkrebs: I agree with Jazdoc too. There are several targets on a whole TT design and certainly what you posted:

+++++ " have absolute speed stability under all load conditions. " +++++

is a primary one but is only one link/part of the TT design and execution design. As you said: TT bearing is critical, platter weight and motor match, arm board design, platter build materials, plinth build materials, arm board build materials, mat ( if any ) build materials, drive system, motor choosed, TT footers, damping/drain vibrations/resonances, etc, etc.

Good to read your posts and other people ones that in many ways what we read it in this tread ( at least for me ) was/is a learning one.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
and we have to remember that that ideal/perfect TT design main target is to: FULFIL THE LP/CARTRIDGE NEEDS and not only to take money for we the customers.

R.
Halcro, your video of the Victor is most impressive. I'm not sure that many tables would pass that test which such flying colors. Well done. Have you tried this test with the dot falling on a wall that is further away? The video of the Transrotor tells a whole different story. It's surprising how far off that is with such a heavy platter. Someone once described the effect of stylus drag as similar to a fly trying to slow down an elephant. I no longer see the relevance of that analogy.

As interesting as a list of tables that pass this test would be, I don't think we will see one any time soon. Thanks for sharing your video.
Thank you Peter,
When I saw that Timeline video using the Transrotor turntable.......it was also the first time that I was able to appreciate the effects of stylus drag.
It's hard to imagine anyone claiming that 'speed control' was inconsequential after viewing it?
Regards