Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
Lewm - the "cogging" mostly showed up as instability, most apparent in the bottom end. This was cleaned up with the updated power supply & on board regulation. This was consistant across many SOTA's we sold at the time. Sounds like you had a different issue.
Yeah. The bass on mine was muffled as well. (I totally forgot about that issue.) Could be I had the version you are talking about. But when you say "we", do you mean to say you were a SOTA dealer or otherwise involved with SOTA?
Most suspended tables have the motor fixed and platter/arm suspended to isolate the arm from motor vibration. that was the problem with wimpy suspension which would create oscillation and speed changes. This was especially true with suspensions that hold the plinth up, rather than when the plinth hangs, such as Oracle or Sota. Sota was able to fix the motor to the platter/arm plinth by changing the motor and regulation to virtually eliminate motor vibration and damping what was left. Works as far as I can tell.
Works for me too. I invite anyone to come listen to the Appassionata on my tt and tell me what's wrong with it. I don't mind constructive criticism- except that it ends up costing big $$$ in upgrades. :)