Dunlavy SC4 Speakers

Does anyone know what the value of a used set of Dunlavy SC4 speakers would be? These are the original SC4's early run I believe. The reason for the question is that I have a line on a set and I'm willing to pay fair market value which often is determined by a speakers popularity and not actual worth. I'm trying to determine a base line price with the seller without out getting into these are the best speakers ever made and that makes them worth a million bucks!

Thanks!
2channeljunkie
2CJ,

It's good that your dealer is going to take care of the repair. That sounds like a much better situation for you, and I certainly hope everything goes well.
2cj, I can offer a little more support for your choice.

I owned and enjoyed a pair of Duntech Princess (purchased new) for 19 years. Anyone who knows me and the number of speakers I've owned overall will understand why that is significant. The Princess was/is the earlier sibling to the DAL SC-IV/IVa. I reluctantly sold them only due to a pending move.

While I believe the Duntech models were superior to their DAL counterparts (better driver selection and cabinet design), I had the chance to hear most DAL models and still found them to be outstanding. They are tonally very good and easy to listen to for extended periods of time. But they are also very revealing and will benefit from careful component matching and room placement.

I believe John Dunlavy was among the absolute best speaker designers and your opportunity to get one of his full range (almost) models in good condition for under $2K should be an easy choice, so long as its size is acceptable in your household.
"I've heard of driver failures and its a real headache so there is a little risk involved."

I have heard of driver failures in almost every speaker. There are some real animals out there.

"For as big as they are the bass is quite weak"

Dunlavy SCIV is not intended to be used 4 or 5 feet into the room. Dunlavy told me to start out 8 inches from the wall behind the speakers and move them out accordingly. Using John Dunlavy's instructions the bass energy was quite remarkable and very satisfying.
"By comparing Dunlavys to the Vandersteens you're comparing two speakers that are more similar to each other than most others are."

I have owned both and I don't see how you can compare them other than they are both speakers.
I agree with Rrog. Not only have I personally owned speakers from both companies, I was a dealer for both. Completely different.