Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Richardkrebs has advocated adding 60+g of horizontal mass by adding lead to the bearing spindle and removing the decoupling mechanism of the counterweight. With the ET2 the decoupling of the counterweight is part of the strategy to keep horizontal mass not too high.
I'm not sure if there is any (groove tracking) disadvantage in having Eff Mass too high, ie. Res Freq too low.

Sure, there may be issue with particular TT suspension or TT support resonances, but arguably not detrimental to good record tracking?
05-15-13: Richardkrebs
In Bruce's paper on the oil trough he talks about the effect of Fr being apparent at 3x its frequency. Targeting say the 12 hz you mentioned would mean that it is causing phase and amplitude problems at 36 hz. This is not good.
05-16-13: Richardkrebs
Dover.
Secondary resonance? You mentioned this twice in your post 05-15-13. The frequency numbers you used were 3x Fr for this. The 3x Fr figure is the multiplier used by BT where he considers the amplitiude and phase anomolies above Fr have fallen to a level that is benign.
Richardkrebs, according to your own posts
05-15-13: Richardkrebs - There is a phase and amplitude problem at 3xFr
05-16-13: Richardkrebs - There isn't a problem at 3xFR
Of course I agree with your first statement. The second is wrong.
Note also, Bruce set up the arm with a "deliberately high Q" and low compliance cartridge.
Richardkrebs your statement is misleading.
Bruce added 18g of horizontal effective mass with the damping trough mechanism. You have added 62g of mass to your arm by adding lead and removing the decoupled counterweight.
Assuming your example of 9g cartridge and 32g of counterweight plus your added lead of 30g then;
The horizontal effective mass of the ET2 with damping trough is
Std ET2 - 25+9+18=52g
KREBS ET2 - 25+9+32+18+30=114g
If you believe that you can increase the horizontal mass of the ET2 from 52g to 114g and get the same results as Bruce Thigpen, then that is where you are wrong.
See BT's own formula for calculating horizontal Fr. It does not take into account these other structural resonances.
That said these other resonances can have an effect on the shape of the resonance curve but the fundamental determinent is the horizontal mass.
Ok, so you disagree with me, then in the second sentence you agree with me.
I'll take the second view. If the fundamental determinant is horizontal effective mass, why do you expect the same results as Bruce Thigpen when you have more than doubled the horizontal mass with your changes to your ET2.

The other key issue with running high horizontal mass, far higher than recommended by Bruce Thigpen, is the increased tracking distortion that this causes.
I quote from Bruce Thigpen:

If the weight is coupled the system resonant frequency would be extremely low, a resonant frequency at 3Hz with a significant rise in response (6-12dB) results, which would affect tracking slightly because of the asymmetric position of the cantilever, we opt for splitting the horizontal resonance frequency into two points and lowering the "Q" which improves tracking.

More important than tracking, the intent was to reduce the modulation effects of low frequency energy (FM and AM) that increase distortion in the cartridge,
To reiterate, from my listening experience increasing the horizontal mass and removing the decoupling of the counterweight on the ET2 slugs the sound and the distortion can be clearly heard.
05-17-13: Ct0517
As I type this Ottawa to Toronto area of Ontario experienced a 4.8 earthquake – a little shakey.
Sort of like my JMW 12 unipivot. :^)
My local audio shop has been selling VPi’s for some years. In my experience if the arm is wobbling then it is either not set up correctly or perhaps the bearing needs checking.
As a matter of interest, the Aro is inherently more stable than the VPI and most unipivots as the bearing is a radius tip sitting in a cup with a defined radius. This provides damping of around 2db, is a true mechanical ground and is self centering. With the VPi the tip is upside down – the cup sits on top of the tip, so it is less stable, and is not a true mechanical ground.
Stereophile review ARO – June 1993
Unipivots have traditionally been only marginally stable, but much thought has evidently gone into the ARO's design. Lowering the counterweight to about record level has given the ARO excellent stability. This also lowers the center of gravity to below the pivot point, providing about 6dB of mechanical damping of the stylus. Another 2dB or 3dB seem to come from the bearing cup, which has a sapphire insert. The bearing is the ARO's stroke of genius. In other unipivots, a sharp pin is mounted to the turntable and the arm carries a cup which sits atop the pivot point. The ARO's arm carries the sharp tip, resting this atop a stationary cup: a true mechanical ground
I can run an extremely eccentric record or a warped record and the ARO remains incredibly stable – there is no wobble or change of azimuth when disturbed.
'Audio' review of the ET-2. Excellent read with some (if you haven't already read it) surprising, even startling, results. By Edward M Long in 1987, when reviews were a serious affair.

As I'm semi literate, Chris has kindly uploaded my jpegs to his site. Thankyou Chris.

Go to

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/CT-993/library/?sort=2&page=1

(it works, I've tried it) and you will find 7 pages of review, including v interesting measurements.

I did try to post this review here, but that cann't be done presently.

Sorry guys if this duplicates an earlier ET-2 post. I haven't read every one of well over 700 posts.
05-17-13: Richardkrebs
Dover
I do wish you would stop repeating your fundamental error ad nauseum.
I am not aware of any errors on my part. Please read my last post. It outlines the errors you have made.

Let’s address the fundamentals:

The ET2 has a unique patented decoupled counterweight.
The decoupled counterweight is damped at its natural resonant frequency of 2-5hz. This decreases the rise in frequency response at the fundamental resonance. ( page 9 of the ET2 manual ).
So with your cartridge a standard arm would have a fundamental resonance at 8hz, and the decoupled counterweight reduces the amplitude or size of this resonance.
Removing the decoupling as you have done will see an increase in the resonance of 6-12db – as shown in Bruce’s testing, documented on his website.

Now you state you have added some 62+g of mass to your ET2 and removed the decoupling.
So there are 2 points here:
1. Removing the decoupling increases the fundamental resonance by 6-12db.
2. Increasing the mass has reduced your FR to 5hz.

One can see that by adding mass you have placed the fundamental resonance in the same zone as the natural resonance of the decoupled counterweight. This would be a disaster as the 2 resonances will likely sum together to create a large one.
You can deduce from this that removing the decoupling not only takes out a fundamental design feature of this arm that provides a flat response in the bass, it actually compounds the problem of the FR peak and makes it doubly worse.

Now let’s assume that your system has no response below 30hz, just for arguments sake, not that I’m suggesting it does.

The reality is that phase shifts at fundamental resonance ( bass in my language ) will affect the rest of the frequency spectrum. In other words it affects the mid and highs.
ET website
If a tonearm/cartridge system has a substantial rise in response below 20 Hz as most do, the phase response at the low end will be shifted and phase shift will occur beginning at 2 to 3 times the resonant frequency down to Fr. The time in which low frequency signals come from the tonearm will be shifted slightly with respect to mid-range frequencies within the audible range and substantially shifted up to several periods at resonance.
One can clearly hear these distortions when adding mass to the ET2 and removing the decoupling spring.

05-17-13: Richardkrebs
Bruce measurements show that this rise in response is reduced by 8db with the addition of an oil trough. This in test conditions which used a deliberately high Q and a low compliance cart. The amplitude of resonance decreases the further you move away from Fr. BT suggests that resonance effects frequencies up to 3xFr.

This testing is irrelevant in your case because of what you have done to your ET2. The testing was conducted with a standard ET2 with a decoupled counterweight and fluid damping added - the total horizontal effective mass was approx. 54g.

You have altered your ET2 by removing the decoupling of the counterweight, which increases FR by 6-12db and increases the horizontal effective mass by 32g. You have also added 30g of lead to your tonearm. Your tonearm weighs approx. 114g compared to the 52g tested by Thigpen.

Thigpens test results cannot be applied to support your argument that your arm does not have a rise in response in the bottom end because you have doubled the weight of your arm and removed the decoupling mechanism from the counterweight.

What you have not addressed, other than the discussion on the impact of FR, is the tracking distortion that is generated by increasing the mass of the arm, in your case more than doubling it.

I quote from Bruce Thigpen:
If the weight is coupled the system resonant frequency would be extremely low, a resonant frequency at 3Hz with a significant rise in response (6-12dB) results, which would affect tracking slightly because of the asymmetric position of the cantilever, we opt for splitting the horizontal resonance frequency into two points and lowering the "Q" which improves tracking.
More important than tracking, the intent was to reduce the modulation effects of low frequency energy (FM and AM) that increase distortion in the cartridge,

You have doubled the weight as seen by the cantilever.
A conventional pivoted arm with an effective mass of 14g with a cartridge of 9g will have a total effective mass of 23g.
The standard ET2 has a horizontal effective mass of 34g or 52g with the damping mechanism.
With your addition of lead and removal of the decoupling, and added fluid damping, your altered ET2 has an effective mass of approximately 114g - 4 times the effective mass of a conventional pivoted arm.

Readers should try to imagine waking around with the weight of three adults sitting on their shoulders, and pretending the weight is of no consequence.
This is what the cantilever has to endure with the Krebs alterations to the ET2.