Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
John,
No offense taken.  I don't consider any suggestions meddsome on this thread.  I very much appreciate the suggestions.  Think I'll noodle around the Internet to see if I can find some loading plugs.

shubert,
Love the ET second class analogy.  Brings back fond memories and, yes, it's like we can srtill hear what we're not supposed to be able to hear any more.

Cheers,
Harry

Its not LIKE we can still can, its we really can !
ET-2 is a proud title for any man .
Good evening,

Follow up report.  While I will not claim to have become an ET expert, after about two months of tweaking and upgrading I can offer some suggestions on listening to your tweaks.

1.  For those of us who use subwoofers, the tuning of your subwoofers adds a whole additional layer to what you hear.  My advice here is to either get your subwoofer settings where you want them before you tweak/upgrade your ET or disconnect your subwoofer and listen for a few sessions before tweaking your ET.  Then go back and readjust the sub before you pass judgement on your ET tweak.  A tweak you think was one step backward may well be two steps forward when you get your sub tuned back in.  VTA setting and sub integration can be interrelated.

2.  When tweaking your ET pick 2 or 3 of the LP's that you rely on for testing your system and stick with them until you are happy with the result.  Do not start sampling your record collection before you are satisfied with your work.  Few of us have record collections comprised of only excellent recordings.   If it was a lousy recording before you upgraded your ET, it will probably still be a lousy recording no matter how amazing your upgrade or tweak.

3.  Be disciplined when you upgrade. Do one tweak or upgrade at a time.  Perform only those tasks necessary to complete the upgrade or tweak you set out to accomplish. Do not give a bolt or screw that is not part of your upgrade one last twist before listening.  I.e. Resist the urge to give that loose VTA block bolt a little twist for good luck. 

These suggestions are probably second nature to you old hands but I think they can save a good deal of frustration to those new to ET upgrades and tweaks.  

May you spend more time listening to your music than your system,
Harry

Good suggestions, Harry.  I sent you the board via USPS yesterday. I also included a piece of the material that I mentioned previously. If and when you get around to trying the "double-board" I would try with and without the sheet between the boards. Resonance and its effects is a crazy thing and the two boards, as tightly together as they may be held together, will still resonate as thinner boards in, at least, parts of their total surface area; as flat as these boards may be cut, they won't make contact with each other over their entire surface area. The sheet between them may help them act "as one" and will introduce some dampening which may or may not be beneficial in the context of your system and your tastes.  At least, that is how my twisted brain considers this kind of thing.  Please report any impressions.