Equipment Break-in: Fact or Fiction

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that all of the manufacturers' and users' claims of break-in times is just an excuse to buy time for a new users' ears to "adjust" to the sound of the new piece. Not the sound of the piece actually changing. These claims of 300+ hours of break-in for something like a CD player or cable seem outrageous.

This also leaves grey area when demo-ing a new piece as to what it will eventually sound like. By the time the break-in period is over, your stuck with it.

I could see allowing electronics to warm up a few minutes when they have been off but I find these seemingly longer and longer required break-in claims ridiculous.
bundy
Geez nobody answered my questions, I still want to know:

1) does break-in stop after a while or is the process continuous such that the component will sound only better as time passes; or
2)does it reach a plateau that goes on forever;or
3) does it get better as it burns-in up to an apex and then starts deteriorating until such time the component sounds like s..t.

BTW I will not hold the fact that anyone is an engineer against him/her.

In an ever changing world, life is rough.

Good day.
I think # 3 would be closest.

Except that I would expect DIGITAL components to fail before audibly changing.
And PASSIVE components would be the most likely to
drift before failing.
80% of all PCB failures are do to solderjoint problems. When the components with the solderjoint problems are replaced they have new solderjoints and most of the time the problem is blamed on components. Not true.
As far as tubes go.. I cant comment.. I dont know reliabilty. I do have tube guitar amps but havent heard a audible difference yet and no failures.

I have had audio equipment play the same (not very well)
for 20 years.

So the answer is all of the above.
And are we just arguing about how many angels fit on the head of a pin? Which ever it is that is burning in, the point is we have to be careful to spend time with components before we make judgements. This is what makes this hobby so hard, and why we need to listen with open minds to the experiences of others - and not dismiss experiences of others through lack of proof.
Redkiwi .. here here! Some think burn-in is in one's head. Others think it's in the equipment. Neither side appears to have presented conclusive evidence (electrical measurements, or psychoacoustical studies), so lets all be happy to differ. So long as we're all pleased with the end result.
I found some pretty good info on net:

It really isnt that complicated once you understand
there are SO MANY variables. I will post more info
as i find...

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/des_s99/electronic_
electrical/