Ever Have One Of Those Evenings?

Tonight, I went downstairs, turned on the system, and it sounded like crap. Within an hour I had:

>Discovered that one of my Thiel 2.2's has either a dead woofer (most likely), or a crossover or internal wiring problem. Testing to diagnose will commence tomorrow, tonight I'm too P.O.'ed.

>Additionally discovered that the tweeter on the other side is distorting badly, and will need the dome/voice-coil assembly replaced (again).

>Confirmed that my most costly set of interconnects has a bad jack connection (these are Harmonic Technology Magic Link Ones, which naturally feature a plug design that cannot easily be opened up for inspection or repairs without destroying the heat-shrink sleeve).

>Faced the distinct possibility that my futzing around behind the preamp trying to ascertain the culprit in the latter problem - without first turning down the volume - may well have been the cause of least one of the first two problems.

>Realized that now, not only can't I listen to my system the regular way, but since the OEM (non-standard) headphone amp output jack I got from Musical Fidelity's distributor to replace the faulty original in my X-Cans quickly developed the same exact problem as the old one (no right channel with either set of 'phones), I cannot even listen with my headphones for the time being, except through my CD-R recorder's wimpy monitoring jack.

Looks like I'm on a steady diet of cable movies and NPR for a while. (Way to go, Trent Lott: at least you'll be out-of-sight, out-of-mind by this time next week, you plastic-haired cretin - your plight is the one redeeming feature of my evening!)
zaikesman
Tell me about it - if my girlfriend's in the house, the cable is on. I don't mind if it's a good old movie, TV Land, a science documentary, or even the news, but usually it's The Style Channel, Trading Spaces, MTV, Oprah, or Dr. Phil. I tell you, it's enough to make me seriously consider quitting paying for all this crap - if it weren't for the sports and TCM, and an occasional "Behind The Music". I can't decide what's more of a wasteland, cable TV or rock radio. As for Xmas however, I'll be at the beach and won't have to worry. :-)

Anyway, I'm mulling over taking a road trip with the speaker in the van to Lexington - it's not *too* far away (I'm in suburban DC), I'll spend less on gas than I will on shipping (as long as I take the sleeping bag and crash in the back, but the cost balance probably tips if I wind up wanting a bed and a shower), won't have to worry about the shipping gremlins or gorillas, and I'll get to go through the mountains and eat roadside BBQ. Problem is, I'd have to do it twice if Thiel can't prearrange to service the speaker the day I'm there. Then again, that would be twice as many opportunities (and excuses) to look for old records at country fleas'n'thrifts! Now, where are my overalls...
I've come to the conclusion that daytime television is an industry conspiracy to force the masses to go out to work. If mortgage, car and health payments aren't enough, then daytime telly will surely drive you out the door and seeking gainful employment.
I am very lucky to have never been unemployed. I did once have to take a month off sick ... that's when I found out the true horrors of daytime TV.
Sherry at Thiel has said that it probably is possible for me to schedule a repair appointment in advance, then bring the speaker to the factory myself on the morning of the appointed day and be able to take it away repaired at day's end. Concurrent with that she offered a factory tour. The bad news is that if the tech determines that the crossover was damaged due to an input signal overload (very likely), then there's no warranty coverage.