Graham Phantom vs Triplaner

Wondering about the sonic traits of both these arms compared to each other.

- which one has deeper bass,
- which one has the warmer (relative) balance
- which one is compatible with more cartridges
- which one has the better more organic midrange
- which one has the greater treble detail.
- which one plays music better ( yes this is a more subjective question ).
- which one goes better with say the TW acoustic raven TT.
downunder
The Triplanar VII is a excellent unit with its good cable and when using Cartridges below 10gr.
With heavier carts it simply looses information in the high frequency area, it is a bit lifeless and the "airy speed" is not there anymore

Take that damn dampening trough off of your Triplanar and then come back and tell me the highs are missing. :-) The Triplanar works very, very well with my 13 gram XV-1s.

I do agree that some people like what they call a more "musical" sound. To me that just means some component is hand-waving over notes it doesn't want to play.
FWIW, I've never heard the Phantom, but I can assure you that a fully tweaked Tri-P with a Universe cart does not induce listener fatigue and I would never characterize it as bright, harsh, or analytical, when used with a world class phono stage. Dynamic, great attack and decay. Can handle the range of musical styles from classical (instrumental and vocal) to jazz, to folk, singer/songwriter, bluegrass and alt-country. And this was through B&Ws, which many would agree are never described as laid back. Everything from Bach chorals to Mozart to Louis Armstrong to Parton/Harris/Ronstadt. Since vinyl is not my primary medium, I did not get one when I upgraded my arm, but if it was....
I've been running the Tri-Planar for a few years now. The VTA tower (that allows for on-the-fly VTA adjustment) is much more precise than earlier models.

I've had the ZYX and Transfiguration Orpheus; something that becomes apparent with these combinations is that a lot of 'noise' that is often attributed to other things like the phono preamp and also a worn record are neither- just the manifestation of mistracking. Its a hard setup to fault- certainly one of the best tonearms made.
Thomas has it pretty much nailed down,as far as I am concerned.
As far as my own opinion...you really have to look(hard)at the particular hobbyist/set-up person,or dealer with regards to "voicing"(getting the best)an arm/cartridge combo has.
Sorry,but knowing how sensitive some arms can be,"anything definitive" stated by a hobbyist/owner must be taken with a grain of salt!Myself included(and especially)!
Ex....if I don't know how an arm like the Graham 1.5/2.0/2.2 is set up(to the exactitude)no comments have any meaning,other than hobbyspeak.
Not to say I don't love to read this sort of critique,but too many variables are at play,and many folks are quite satisfied,way too soon(meaning some folks may not even go beyond a certain set-up point,once good sound is had).We each have no exact idea of just how critical each of us is. Of course there are those who seize a negative comment(even if wrong) and try to make a provocative post,just to see what comes out of it(I have no problem with that tactic,and it IS fun to see what gives).I've done that alot.
Knowing what I know,from extensive experience with all Graham arms,I cannot believe the Phantom is too warm,or weak in some detail area.Certainly,Graham arms are not boring for that matter!Yes,the earlier series had some dynamic issues,but they were greatly improved over time.
I also cannot possibly see where an arm like the Triplanar could be fatiguing,over ANY length of listening.THIS arm has been around,and refined for over thirty years.
Personally I DO think the "hobbyist/owner" is the weak link in the analog chain,from what I have experienced,with "myself" and other experienced guys.
We jump to conclusions way too soon,don't really max out much stuff(not just arms/cartridges),before annointing something as good or bad,and like to reinforce the findings of fellow friends and other hobbyist owners,who have equipment we like,or want.
I have seen experienced owners who had cartridge/arm set-ups way off the mark(myself included)and thought they had the "performance personality" down pat(easy to blame poor tubes,or something else on a sub optimal arm/cartridge issue)!Of course it is SO easy to blame something like non optimal cable matching,antiskate settings,vta,vtf,and azimuth...not to mention the very sensitive bearing fluid issue,in the Graham 2.0 and 2.2(I had both)that "literally" makes or breaks the performance here!!YES too much fotzing around is needed here,for maximizing the damping fluid.....but boring sounding....if you got it right?
I think some cartridges used are definitely NOT ideal,on some arms mentioned here,and this IS a major sticking point!Some of us don't even realize this,as we have come to like some particular cartridge family so much,the arm choice(as being absolutely optimal)is not taken to the max.
A heavy stone bodied Koetsu(I owned two)on a Graham 2.0 or 2.2? Yes,that would be "boring",AND a non optimal match,IMO.No amount of playing around with parameters can overcome sub optimal cartridge matching,to specific arms.
Also,as to specific dealers reinforcing the thought of a particular product as not being so hot( I had one,very recently,as I was considering the Phantom,tell me the the latest Vector was a piece of "garbage",which I don't believe for a minute)...well I don't think I have to go "there" at all!My advice....learn your set-up,on your own.Then when someone knocks something you own,you will truly know if the statement is accurate.
I have gone six months without realizing my azimuth was off,and kept playing around with damping fluid,and vtf/vta to get a satisfying sound.It was OK on some LP's ,but did not hold up in the long run.Yet I was too affixed to "thinking" I knew it all to well,to realize I was "clueless".
This could(just an assumption)be one particular reason why some make blanket statements about specific products!
If I,myself,have no experience with "your" particular set-up,NO amount of nice color pictures tells me anything about a particular product.Sorry if this seems rude,and I LOVE all the input,and PLEEEEASE keep it up!!It is the only way to make a decent "judgement" on some products(if unavailable)and is VERY helpful to all of us!
I just don't think it's the best idea to take an eyebrow raising comment,from a particular poster,as the gospel.
A fun read YES,YES,YES...but we should go with what makes the most sense to us.
One thing that DOES make the MOST sense to me(from experience with the Air Tangent,and Forsell arms)is the ABSOLUTE superiority of a really good "linear-air bearing" arm!!!.....If you have not heard a good system that employs one of the "elite" units around,you DEFINITEY have not heard what can be had with the "best" discs!That may seem like one "eyebrow raising" statement...but it will be an "eye opening" one to the uninitiated!!!
Best of luck.
Let me say again that my impression of these tonearms is based on MY OPINION and on my SYSTEM. Everybody has their own opinion on what's too bright or too warm - so the best thing sometimes is to try the tonearm yourself and see what's suit you but often it's hard to get both of these yourself so i really understand the need to ask everyone before you commit yourself!

Let me say something about myself too - i prefer warmer sound and looking more for midrange. I have other friends or audiophile who look neutrality or live and dynamic sound; i understand that my taste is kind of colored but hey, that's my system and that's the way i like it.

Both these arm are great and you can not go wrong with either but depending on your taste, one may suit you better so keep reading and most important is to look at what condition and systems these arm are set up - all equipment/arm/cartridge are very system dependent so pay attention to these facts when you read other people opinions about these arms...

Good luck Downunder with your search,