great musician's audio systems

A Naim dealer recently told me that Charlie Haden (bassist for Ornette Coleman in early 60's) had an all Naim rig with a Linn TT. I know for sure that Keith Richards and Ron Carter both own Tetra speakers (the manufacturer lets that be easily known). I have been curious if any of my fellow audiophiles might know what the audio systems of other great musicians were like. And if anyone knows of past musican's rigs (Pablo Casals, Jimi Hendrix, whatever) this should be a very interesting discussion indeed.
chashmal
I wonder if the musicians chose the gear and paid for it, or whether they were given the components free of charge in exchange for the publicity afforded the hifi companies.

I'm cynical enough to believe the latter.
One time I saw a Hartly/Quad/Decca speaker system for sale here on Agon that was advertised as belonging to Chick Corea. Who knows if they were his though...
Tvad: you have good reason to be cynical.

I am almost sure that Naim gave Charlie Haden that rig. The reason I believe that is he records on a Naim promo label, which seems to be a P.R. move for them.
I once asked Ron Carter(via email)if he still liked the Tetra's and replied "Yes".

>>>" I wonder if the musicians chose the gear and paid for it, or whether they were given the components free of charge in exchange for the publicity afforded the hifi companies."<<<

I know that to be largely incorrect save the usual few exceptions where strong promotional links likely exist, like TV advertising or magazine advertising.

Most at the top of the recording industry are serious enough about sound to seek out and pay for what they believe will bring the best performance--almost regardless of cost.

I am sure Charlie Haden owns Naim gear because Ken Christiansen who is an extraordinary recording engineer for the Naim label, recommended the Naim gear to Charlie. Did he get a discount? Maybe, but I am sure that is not why he bought the gear.

It is the personal links and word of mouth within musicians and recording engineers closed circles that sets up Pro/industry sales of high end products --not the amount of discount being offered. Yes, most get discounts through affiliations of one type or another in the same way a speaker manufacturer may get a discount from an amp manufacturer etc, but that does not drive the purchase or even determine what their choice might be.

Cost, discounts and freebies is not 'the object' of most purchases for industry professionals. Most of them can literally afford whatever they want and have their agent buy the products. The most important factor in any high-end purchase for pro's is established credibility and word of mouth on a product from those within their circle of trust--recording guys, studios, close friends.

Some well known recording business people attend high-end and or pro sound events for instance, ie: Peter Gabriel, Rick Rubin etc... They establish relationships, check out possibles, listen to and test the product and then purchase based on their preferences/systems etc.--not cost or discounts.

Sony Music Japan bought many expensive high-end products valued over $100k at full Japanese retail after they tested the products. The same holds true in many other studios world wide.

I think a lot of the greased hands stuff does go on probably, but not at the very top levels, more likely the middle and lower categories of the pro-ranks where someone with half a name tosses their weight around to get something cheap/free. The pro's at the top never ask for discounts or special deals because they don't need to. :o)

Grant