grills or no grills on your speakers..matters?

Yeah, I am asking again.
I leave them off because they look better.
I am not totally convinced they sound better.

What you wise sages think?
rsasso
Bifwynne, that reminded me of a friend who lost a pet boa constrictor. He searched everywhere with no luck. Thought it may have gotten outside, so he notified the neighbors to be on the look out for it, and that it was pretty much harmless. Then one day he was moving his JBL L100's (grills were removed) had felt something funny with one of them. He removed the bass driver and found his snake. It crawled in through the bass reflex tube towards the warmth.
If your system has been set up to a threshold level of accuracy and retail resolution, then removal of the grills will definitely improve things enough that you will want to take them off. I am still using a pair of Snell B Type full-range 5-sided speakers since 1993 and have tried them on and off in my system as it evolved. I never was able to hear a difference until this year when I finally got the message about isolation platforms for every component and power supply and proper cable separation. Only after giving every component its own maple platform sitting on iso-blocks and an assortment of brass footers, Terra Stones, Herbie's Rollers, etc. gleaned from the used market, was I able to actually hear more detail when the covers were off and to crave it when they are on. Until you address the system set-up issues that lower the noise floor that interferes with the low-level details, the difference might be inaudible to you as it was for me until I finally got my system to basic fundamental audio set-up integrity.