Halide Bridge vs hiFace Evo vs Sonicweld 192

I've given up on the Squeezebox Touch and as skeptical as I am from previous experience with some cheap USB converters (Trends(?) and HagTech) I'm intrigued to try it again based on some reviews, mainly the Halide Bridge (even after reading; USB audio receiver code, Streamlength™, by Wavelength Audio*).

Find Missing Link

I've wanted to use my iMac/iTunes (Front Row) for years but nothing sounded satisfying enough, including $1K-$3500 USB DAC's*. My system is very resolving and uses the Reimyo DAP-777. The reviews give the Bridge a slight edge in musicality compared to hiFace Evo and no comparisons with Sonicweld 192. Plus I'd rather not pay $1200. Wow! Price increase since I last looked into it - $1,799.00! &*%$!
sakahara
"Evo was plugged in prior to driver installation (I realized it required a driver after noticing the device wasn't listed under Sound>Output Prefs). Everything looked fine, power on,..etc, except for the fact that it would only play through the internal speakers."

This is really simple. You go to preferences - audio and select the EVO and then you get output.

It is the operating systems that are causing these problems and confusions, not the device. Dont blame the device or the driver. If you install the driver according to the instructions and select the device in preferences, it just works.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
In simpler language AUDIOENGR, it is Operator Error, NOT lack of adequate Manufacturer Instruction that is at fault-is that it? Not buying it! If Manufacturer is advertizing
USB Converter/Driver to be compatible with Windows 7 or
MAC OS X System, Manufacturer never tests these Devices in
these specific Operating Systems to make sure they work?
What do they do, just cross their fingers and hope for the best? Customer becomes the Guinee Pig? If you drove a brand
new car off of the Salesman's Lot, and the wheels fell off,
I don't think that you would be so gracious! Especially if
Salesman ran up to you waggling his finger in your face,
"Whooops....must be Operator Error"! You will have to forgive some of us for not being as gracious with PC Audio.
Some of us want to break that finger off, and shove it were the sun don't shine. If that just makes us uncivilized
brutes, so be it. Just how many times do the wheels of PC Audio have to come off, before we learn anything? I have
learned one thing, Operator Error is a piss poor excuse for
lack of Manufacturer Prior Proper Planning in Adequate
Instruction for the Proper operation of any Device. In
simpler language, that boat won't float no matter who is
operating it! What, the Operator simply didn't bail water fast enough, so says the Boatmaker? How convenient!

by Audioengr: "This is really simple. You go to preferences - audio and select the EVO and then you get output. It is the operating systems that are causing these problems and confusions, not the device. Dont blame the device or the driver. If you install the driver according to the instructions and select the device in preferences, it just works."

Steve, I've been using computers since '95 (self taught/administrator on UNIX/IRIX SGI, WIN DOS/NT/2K/XP, and MAC OS X). I know how to select the sound output device under OS X System Prefs. Evo showed up after installing the driver, but would only play through iMac speakers. Is that clear now? I've used other USB DAC's and converters and know what I'm doing. Don't just presume user is to blame.

Fyi; There was no mention on the M2Tech website about a driver being needed. And at first I ignored the small folded 2"x5" strip of paper included in the box that informs the customer they'll need to download the instruction manual and driver. But I'll accept the blame for that one. I should have known that tiny scrap of paper held the answers. Point is, set up on OS X is easy, practically does it on it's own (yet look at the WIN instructions. Geesh!).

by Tvad: "You have to select it to play through the external speakers in the Apple Midi application. It will not do play through the external speakers automatically......"

Yes, did that too. Already learned from setting up other USB converters as mentioned.
01-26-11: Sakahara
I've been using computers since '95 (self taught/administrator on UNIX/IRIX SGI, WIN DOS/NT/2K/XP, and MAC OS X).

There was no mention on the M2Tech website about a driver being needed.
All USB devices require drivers. It would seem a UNIX/IRIX SGI, WIN DOS/NT/2K/XP, and MAC OS X administrator would know this.

Did you configure the Evo to output sound via external speakers in the Apple Midi Setup application (did the application display the speaker icon next to the Evo)?